Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reversing Camera - what camera to get and where to connect my reverse wire?

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
Afternoon everyone ;)

I want to hook up a reverse cam in my VY Exec, but I don't want it to stand out like a huge eye sore..and not too fond of drilling a 4cm hole in my boot/bumper for a flush mount one.

Any one got pics of their setup?

Was going to get one of ebay, as it is half the price than wholesale here. Mounting it at the top in between the 2 number plate nights. REVERSE MINI REARVIEW REVERSING CAMERA WITH 5m CABLE - eBay Other Car Audio, Video, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 04-Jul-08 20:40:17 AEST)
seemed good to me?

Also I have a 2008 touch screen stereo which has a reverse camera wire to connect so it comes up automatically, is there a proper place to connect this? Or am i stuck having to connect it to 12v with a switch to use the cam?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Follow the wires leaving your reverse light globe, it's probably a red wire. Strip a little section of that and solder the camera wire to that little bit of stripped wire.

This will activate it whenever voltage flows to the reverse light (ie, when you're in reverse).

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
Genius! Don't know why I didn't think of that :)

Short of pulling apart my car, or running another a cable down from the head unit to boot, does anyone know where I can find this wire in the front of the car?

If i had a better idea, I might be able to go over a few wires with my multimeter.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
thats a pretty good price for that camera! let me know how it goes, i need to get one, cant see anything out the back of the utes

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
You follow the wire from the reverse globe. Your best option is to thread it up through the roof lining and to the front of the car.

If you're really experienced in auto electrics, you could look at the wiring diagram and find an appropriate place. But that will require pulling your car apart and a crap load of time.

The other option is to just let an auto leccy do it. They're very experienced in hiding all sorts of wires and will do it perfectly with no mess. But dropping the roof lining is not at all difficult and by far the easiest option.

You're going to need to connect the video output of the camera to the input of the screen, so you're going to be doing that wiring from the boot to HU anyway. So there's no point in wiring it differently to get your voltage from another source.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
why does it only have one cable coming out the back?

Where do you plug the RCA cable?

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
If you have another look, it seems that that 1 cable goes into; one rca plug for video and one dc plug jack for power.

stoged

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
I was thinking above the rear license plate, between the 2 illumination lights in the middle.

Check that at night... you may get nothing but glear at night when the lights switch on.