Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interior light upgrade

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Hi,
Anyone know for sure if the series 2 interior light/sunglasses holder that sits between the sun visors, screw straight into the series 1?

I assume there is no change to the roof lining/steel roof structure although I want to be sure before hacking into my roof lining.

Also, is the wiring loom there or does it need to be run from the centre light switch?

Thanks.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I can answer my own question now! The roof structure (reinforcing rib) is already set up to accept the front interior light/sunglass holder, as seen on ebay. Check a car with one already installed to get the alignment, then mark the roof lining using a template made from the unit. A very sharp hobby knife will cut through the VY roof lining leaving a clean edge. There is some cotton wool underlay which I cut out to match the hole in the roof lining.
Running wires from the centre light assembly was wasy (I used a piece of stiff guide wire and ran it over the top of the cotton underlay, then pulling the wires through behind it).

Depending on how technical you want to get, you only need two or three wires from the centre light, even though the plug on the new unit has more.
I only used the permanent live and permanent earth, so as to enable me to manually switch on the lights either individually or together, although you can also pick up the switchable EARTH, if you want the front lights to operate with the doors. I wanted to avoid this to prevent additional drain on the battery with doors left open.

The bonus now is that I can turn the centre light off when the kids are asleep in the back, and the front lights gives HEAPS of directional lighting without waking the kids.

If anyone is interested I can give provide a list of wire colours to get it working (note that the wire colours for the centre assembly bears no resemblance to the front assembly) as well as some photos.

Regards,
Mark.

Ho7den

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Some pics of your wiring job would be good. Im trying to do something similar but not sure which wires to splice of as I want my extra lights to come on when ever the interior light comes on especialy when I unlock the car as the lights im putting in are under the external door handles.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
thats an interesting one ho7den. ill be interested to see the finished product....