Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff Problems Crewman "S" & 1 Tonner V6

F

Fitzy44

My Crewman "S" has just developed a noisy differential. Anecdotal evidence gained by querying its prevalence at several dealers gets the response "Yes - we've had a few. Just bring it in and if we think it's noisy enough we'll get another diff and put it in for you.".

The problem/argument I have had is that there is no clearcut determination as to what level of noise is classed as noisy. In fact I had a circuitous argument with customer relations on that point. They couldn't tell me what scale or method is used to confirm whether it is considered noisy or not. Mine is getting VERY noisy and it seems it's the pinion bearing. Queries on another forum elicited responses of similar problems including one guy with a one-tonner who is on his third differential in 50,000km.
My "S" has done 28,000km.

Furthermore it seems that GMH is having hassles with the diff supplier as the application and determination as to whether they will replace it or not swings on the dealership returning a faxed application sheet to the diff supplier - not GMH. Fortunately I heard today that they will replace it.

This problem seems to be confined to Crewman and 1 tonner V6 in the VY-II (maybe VY too) but if the same diff is used in the VZ, unless they changed the bearing used it might suffer as well.

The thing that P***ed me off was GMH's stance on how the noise level would be evaluated. Trust me - it's noisy.

Anyway today I have (Paid for) an upgrade from the VY-II Crewman "S" to the Crewman VZ "SS" Gen-III V8 and get it next week. I scored one of those built with the leather trim "smart pack" a few months ago in expectation of large orders. Those orders for the leather option didn't happen so they released them with "free" leather (and free rego).

Just thought I should put the word out about the diffs.

:eek:

J

jarrod

Well ive just had my VYII tonner s V6 in for a rotation/balance and wheel alignment and the bloke said that the diff is out of alignment. Also the camber on the front and rear wheels are vastly different. He recommended camber kits be installed. I did have my ute booked in for other electrical reasons next friday but he took a look at the list i typed up on my computer and suddenly changed the booking to thursday so they can order whatever parts and fit them on the friday. Plus i get to have a courtesy tonner for 2 days. fingers crossed.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
do they know what the problem with the pinion is fitzy? whether its the bearing type or maybe the collapsible spacer they are using? and about your tonner jarrod, but since the rear is a live axle, i didnt think you could adjust the camber, so the front to rear comparison would be non-existent? as for him recommending camber kits, the only place you could put one on your tonner is the front and that can be adjusted without the kit anyway...have you seen anyone else about it?

J

jarrod

The service manager called me today and said the same thing. As i am not overly mechanically minded i don't know a great deal. He also said that it is very unlikely that the diff could be out of alignment. So i am getting the report from the wheel alignment to give to holden to see if they can work things out exactly. I will find out whats got to be done this friday hopefully with whatever is causing which problem will be fixed.

SMOKN_LJ

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
LJ Torana, VL Calais
it seems to be a common thing to happen to crewmans and one tonners ive seen some so bad that they have a grinding noise from 10km/h upwards, it sounds like theres rocks in the bearings. ive even seen a brand new one tonner with a noisy diff it would have had under 10 km on the odometer. there is no such thing as a camber kit for your car as it has a live axle and the springs hold it in the centre, the fronts are adjustable and they also dont need camber kits

J

jarrod

I saw the bloke who did the wheel alignment today and he said that yes this all just bolts together with almost no adjustment but it is possible that even one part ever so slightly bent or whatever that over time this problem becomes worse. Whether it be the axle bent or another part cause the diff to be out. Yes definitely no camber kits on the rear thats for sure.

My tonner has ABS, correct me if im wrong, this means this means under heavy braking the force of the braking is distributed so that the wheels do not lock up as such, hence stopping skidding. Now i also assume that it would be on all four wheels otherwise it would seem pointless. And in saying all of that how is it possible to get a flat spot on 2 of the four tyres. Also if those 2 tyres were on the rear until 30,000k's and had been rotated to go on the front after approximately 60,000k's(57600 to be precise) the wear on all 4 tyres should be fairly similar. The tyres that went from front to back have only about 30% left, this is due to the outside 30mm being almost flat. Whereas the ones that went from back to front are mainly worn on the inside. But are still in fairly good condition. I must have missed something. :b:

All answers should be given this friday, i don't care what they are i just want my tonner fixed, properly, for the last time.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
well, a flat spot on the two rear tyres=large handbrake at speed....thats the only thing i can come up with, but saying that, you can still lockup with abs under extreme braking.....and you say that the tyres currently on the rear have worn on the outside? or were they like that before they served time on the back? because if they copped that outside wear on the front before you got your alignment and changed them to the back, that would explain a bit as i just cant get my head around why the outsides would wear on the back of a live axle vehicle....not unless the entire axlehousing, side to side is bent like a banana :my: which could also explain the differential noise and as for the front wearing on the inside, that is just an alignment problem which could and should be fixed without a camber kit by a good tyre place.....

Last edited:
J

jarrod

Well having my tonner in i have been given a few answers. My diff is being replaced. With all the figures recorded the spicer axels engineers and holden both decided to replace it. Just not today as they have to get it in. So that is one good thing.
Also the bloke where i got the wheel alignment done said that the axle must be bent as well. Thats the only way most of the wear pattern could happen. Fingers crossed that this makes a substantial difference.

K

Ken

Diff whine SS Crewman

I've had mine back to GMH 4 times. They replaced the diff on the 2nd occassion, the 3rd visit replaced the crown pinion and bushes ? the last visit I was told by the GMH Engineer there was nothing they could do and that's how it is!! But if "I" found someone who could fix it, I was to get a written quote and submit it and they would pay for it. But I would have no further warranty claims against GMH. Mine whines at 110 and is starting to whine at 95. Holden tell me it's the same with the one toners :mad:

stumps5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
With the diff problem my old man has a 04 vy ss crewman. And in the eight months he has had it the original diff was rebuild 4 times. yet still it winned so he got the whole diff completely replaced and then one month later completely replaced again. it has now been in for two months and is starting to show signs of noise. He by no means thrashes his car or does anything that resembles a burnout. i think this is a disgrace on holdens behalf as this is a brand new car.