Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to replace tail light globes?

DonFrancis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
My both brake light or Tail light not working don't know whether the fuses need to be replaced or the globes....if it is fuses how do I change them and if it is globes what is the procedure to replace the globes?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Fuses are behind the panel below the steering wheel.
Globes are straight forward. Just open your boot and you'll see black knobs holding the carpet and trim on near the lights, just unscrew them and that will give you access to the lights.

DonFrancis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hi,

thanks for your advise I did manage to remove the globe but the globe was not burnt off then I put it back again and then the globe was working for parking lights but it does not give that high light when I break...do you know why? can it be anything to do with the fuse box?

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Maybe your brake sender switch isnt working properly, it it located above your brake pedal, you see when your brake pedal is out it presses the switch in but when you press the brake it releases the switch and causes the lights to come on, hop under the dash and look for this switch and adjust it appropriately, may be a little trial and error, its helpful to have someone standing outside to say if the lights come on. If that switch dosent work then id say that its brake.

DonFrancis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Yah, but when I press the brakes, the brake light at the rear windscreen lights up as usaul..only the tail lights wont work as it is suppose to be. so can this still be to do with the brake sender switch ?

OzCarParts

Oz Car Parts
Reaction score
Website
www.ozcarparts.com.au
Members Ride
Commodores, Commodores & more Commodores...
The high mount stop light and the tail lights both work off the same circuit. I'd try another set of globes??? Could be a faulty batch.

And globes dont always have to have a broken filament to be blown.

DonFrancis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
thank buddy ....yah it was a faulty pair of globes...I replaced the globes with new ones and it worked ....though the faulty globes looks alright as in the filaments was not broken the globes were faulty....so initially I was thinking that the globes were OK because the filaments were intact....anyway thanks for the useful tip to replace the globes...saved me some money doing it myself