Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Common vy diff fault

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Hey i saw on here ages ago that the fault with the vy diffs, you know the "clunk" when backing off and then accellerating again was initially diagnosed by Holden as requireing a "complete diff rebuild" costing around a grand. Apparently it's actually just a couple of curclips or something and an hour or two labour. Anyone had there's fixed that could tell me how they went with it and how much etc. Might ask Holden, "You know the common vy diff fault......" and see what they say. Thanks.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
mine does that :( i was hoping i was hearing things lol

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Yeah at first i thought was uni-joint but no such luck!!! Saw on this site somewhere ages ago a whole heap of posts about it but can't seem to be able to find them now, anyone know?

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
i can faintly hear it, only because i listen out for it because i'm pedantic..

I'm not worried though whenever it decides to let go it'll be a good reason to throw in an LSD.

Speaking of which does anyone know how i can work out if its LSD or not without jumping on the anchors and giving the go pedal a boot?

jack09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec
whoa i get this too, kinda glad to hear it's not just my car i think??

so what can happen if its not fixed and how much to fix it?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Come on someone must remember all the posts up here about the issue I can't seem to find anything on here now. Wasn't it a problem with VX/VY?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Thank you fleet5ltr, I spent an hour or so this afternoon reading through the entire "issues with vy's" thread but only a couple of minor mentions on the issue. So I wonder where I can find a mechanic that'll be aware of the fault and able to fix it (other than holden)!!!!!!?

greggold

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy berlina
Thanks to Georgehifi and Vymad for this explanation of the differential thump noise. I too have been told by a holden dealer that the only solution is a $1000 diff rebuild. I was told it is "differential backlash" which may be a fictional condition, ie it does not exist. It seems GM in their 2005 memo identified the issue as "rear axle cyclic knock" and posted a solution in the technical memo that Georgehifi posted. A recall of all cars built with the fault was not done.

It does look very ugly indeed. I have had a relationship with my holden dealer for years, now I doubt I can trust them.

I would appreciate any practical suggestion as to how I might solve my problem. Advice from anyone who has solved this issue would be particularly appreciated.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Every VT-VZ i've been in does this to some degree. It's most noticable when rolling along at about 20km/h, then you floor it and get the clunk. It's not really anything to worry about. I know someone who went through 3 or 4 diffs under warranty to get rid of it, lol.