Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark Plug Leads

R

Ratty

OK Guys and Gals...

Can anyone help out the novice on Spark Plug Leads.

I have a VYII (17,000Kms on clock) Berlina.

What I have been told is conflicting... I have been told on one hand to replace the leads with good quality spark plug leads and get some better response/gains from the V6 Engine... but then people have also told me I am wasting my money to put in new leads... OK I am getting heads soon (yeah dont have time to get it done atm)

2) same as above but with my fathers V6 Supercharged Engine.

Also how often do you have to replace leads?

Cheers
and thanks in advance

Craig :)

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Ratty, to some a change of leads makes a gain, while others don't notice anything. When I changed my leads to top gun leads, I went whole hog and put in some Iridium spark plugs, dam! what a difference it made combining leads/plugs. Just replacing leads you may not get any gain at all. Some ppl swear factory leads do the job, while I agree to a point, but in my case I wanted more power and I got any mod I could find to get power. With only 17,000ks no need to replace your leads, you won't need to for a long time yet. Unless you are after any power increase you can get. :)

R

Ratty

Ahhh thanks for that... how many Kms should a set of leads last? I know its only an approx (bit like how long is a piece of string!) As for Spark Plugs how long do they last? I am worried that holden service will take the new gear off and think its all old stuff!

Cheers and Thanks

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Leads should easily last 100,000k's if well looked after. Just a guestimate, sometimes problems arise much sooner. Iridium plugs are lifelong plugs. If you worried about holden changing anything on ya services, make a note on the service sheet to NOT change leads or plugs. :)

R

Ratty

Cool thanks :) Yeah think I will save my $$ for other mods... atm its stock... but getting headers so might go for the high flow air filter... not a K&N as for a stock car I have been told they can cause problems with the AFM... Kills the platnum wire during the "self" Cleaning phase... Anyhow Genie in WA (Malaga) do a high flow air filter that you clean with compressed air that they recomend ... dont know much so got to look into it yet...

Cheers

R

RKZ234

Ratty said:
Cool thanks :) Yeah think I will save my $$ for other mods... atm its stock... but getting headers so might go for the high flow air filter... not a K&N as for a stock car I have been told they can cause problems with the AFM... Kills the platnum wire during the "self" Cleaning phase... Anyhow Genie in WA (Malaga) do a high flow air filter that you clean with compressed air that they recomend ... dont know much so got to look into it yet...

Cheers

Be VERY, VERY cautious about (stay the hell away from) any air filter that anybody claims can be cleaned with compressed air. The danger is that a hole in the filter may develop, letting all sorts of crap into the engine. Even the tiniest dust particles can "sandblast" the internals of an engine and ruin it in no time.

You'd be better off with a washable type filter or even better again a Pod Filter.

I've used both on identical vehicles and the pod wins hands down on Dyno proven power gains as well as real world fuel economy gains.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
And you are well aware that K&N filters let through heaps of fine fine particles of dirt aswell? That causes minor damage over a long period of time.

I change leads about every 6 services. Which is every 60 thousand for me.

The last time I changed plugs / leads etc, I gained 20hp. Purely because the old plugs and leads were that trash. Don't do it if you don't think its necessary, but it won't harm, and would only be beneficial.

Also, if you can justify the cost of the Iridium plugs go them, otherwise normal 2 dollar plugs will do exactly the same job until your next service.

R

Ratty

How do you put a pod onto a VY Airbox? OK time to go searching the forums!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
You remove the airbox and put the pod onto the pipe.

R

Ratty

Oh OK ... but what about the sensor? I assume also this does not change the warrenty on the car? I want a high flow air filter... Have the stock CAI... just want better air flow...