Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil V6

swish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 S
What exact oil is a new VY 2 S filled with from new. I understand it to be Mobil. Mineral or synthetic?

What oil does your service centre put in it? And how much did you get charged for the oil and filter?

R

RKZ234

swish said:
What exact oil is a new VY 2 S filled with from new. I understand it to be Mobil. Mineral or synthetic?

What oil does your service centre put in it? And how much did you get charged for the oil and filter?

Standard oil at factory is mineral.

Each dealer has their own "arrangement" with an oil supplier.

I travel a lot and have seen dealers who use Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil and Shell oil.

The manufacturer stipulates a certain rating, eg. 15W40 and it is upto the dealer to make their own arrangements.

$5-$7 per lt at a dealer is the range, which is why I buy my own fully synthetic oil at $8lt in a 20 lt drum and supply it to the deale revery service. Oil Filters are about $9.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Which synthetic at $8 per litre?

Hi,

I use only synthetic oil in both my Commodores, usually buying it at Kmart 15% off sales. I have been using Mobil 1, but changed to Shell Helix Ultra lately as Mobil 1 price went up significantly.

I struggle to understand why Mobil 1 hasn't come down again with the AUD doing so well against the USD. Saw Mobil 1 for $3.49 per US quart (works out to less than AUD$5 per litre) while in the US last year. Hard to justify the $64.95 charged for 5 litres in Australia.

Anyhow, to the point, which synthetic oil do you buy in 20 litre drums for $8 per litre? Any where might I be able to get it?

Thanks in advance.

R

RKZ234

Fekason said:
.........Anyhow, to the point, which synthetic oil do you buy in 20 litre drums for $8 per litre? Any where might I be able to get it?

Thanks in advance.

Castrol TXT Softec LL-01 is a 5W30 rated, Fully Synthetic Oil, designed to meet BMW Long Life Specs, Mercedes and Porche. It sells for approx $165 inc GST for a 20 lt drum at most Castrol Truck and Agricultural product distributors.

If you live within the Castrol delivery area, Castrol will deliver freight free when you purchase 2 x 20lt drums or more for about the same unit price. You don't even need an account All you need to do is pay by credit card and it is delivered to your door.

My last delivery of 2 x 20 lt drums cost $334.

So when you consider dealerships use 10w40 mineral oil and charge about $5-$6 a litre, why wouldn't you supply your own?

I know my Synthetic oil is providing better protection after 10,000 km, than the mineral rubbish is after just 2,000km!!!

(BMW's Longlife Spec requires stability to be maintained for not less than 20,000km)

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Agree that synthetic is the way to go

Thanks for that.

I have been a fan of fully synthetic oil ever since I saw the outcome of a US test and evaluation using Mobil 1 in a BMW.

They put the BMW on a dyno in a car park in New Jersey (not in a clean room type environment), and ran the US EPA test continuously during working hours but using higher top speeds, i.e. 80 MPH rather than 55.

The test went for years. The oil was changed at each 7,500 miles, and normal car maintenance performed.

They finished the test at 1,000,000 miles. The car used no oil between "services" for the first 400,000, and 25 litres over the full test.

They then pulled the engine down. The soft metal (e.g. bearings and rings) were just outside new limits, but well within service limits. The rest of the engine was still within new limits.

I could just imagine the advertisement for the car if they then sold it.

"Three year old BMW. Has never left the car park. Only 000005 miles on the clock. Bargain."

I recommend fully synthetic to everyone, unless they have an engine that leaks oil. I would not consider using anything else.