Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exan's VZ SS

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Exan's VZ SS LS1

Hey guys, had this for a few weeks now and have already made a few improvements so re-organizing this first post to contain more information.
Has a mafless tune courtesy of Justin at BYE making 323rwhp.

Year: 2004
Colour: Black
Engine: 5.7L LS1
Transmission: 4sp Auto
Intake: VCM Alloy OTR
Exhaust: Pacemaker 4-1s > 2.5" 200cpi high flow cats > twin 3" difilippo cat back
Suspension: FE2 + King SL Front & King SL Rear
Interior: Black leather, black roof lining, black everything.
Rims: 19" Black VX GTS
Tyres: Nothing special
Stereo: All stock except for a half decent head unit

UX8qGfa.jpg

Tkjs55X.jpg

ngIMEh2.jpg

12ksi6s.jpg

Dyno Sheet

L7z9KFC.jpg

And I made a quick video to show off the twin 3" catback only after putting it on. Pretty happy with it, absolutely no drone, even though it's an auto, and sounding more like an SS now.
Still need to make a video after fitting headers and cats and OTR but haven't been bothered yet.

[YOUTUBE]03fX-ztrD5E[/YOUTUBE]

Here is a video of one of my first runs at the drags with it, don't be too harsh on my technique ;)

[youtube]v5_nyh8u0Bs[/youtube]
Will chuck up some more updates as I do more work on it, and keep this thread updated, cheers for taking a look.

Edit: Updated some pics in first post 27/6/15.

Last edited:

notStock

evolving
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SS M6
Nice rig, VZ SS ftw haha.

Mines also an LS1, 6 speed, done the standard otr/exhaust/tune work on it, and it made 323rwhp on a mainline dyno, and has run 13.32 @ 106mph. 12.99 is probably there with different tyres. Though I think you'll need some shorter diff gears, mine has 3.73:1.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Looks nice man. Love the black on black.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
not really a fan of the commodore, but yours looks good in black. zorst sounds good too.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Cheers for the kind words guys, I'm kinda new around here, I've read a lot and learned a lot over the years but not posted much myself, will rectify that by trying to keep this thread fairly active and up to date.
Will have to check out some of your ride threads, might get some ideas for myself.

Will have more pics and info and maybe another quick video once I do the headers and cats.

Nice rig, VZ SS ftw haha.

Mines also an LS1, 6 speed, done the standard otr/exhaust/tune work on it, and it made 323rwhp on a mainline dyno, and has run 13.32 @ 106mph. 12.99 is probably there with different tyres. Though I think you'll need some shorter diff gears, mine has 3.73:1.

Thanks mate, sounds like i might be able to make about 300rwhp with the auto and will need to do a bit more work to get into the 12s, I've never been to the drags before but will try to take it to Kwinana first Wednesday night I can once I've finished this round of upgrades.
As for future plans a bit further down the line, thinking 3.9 diff and get the LSD tightened as not sure on how thrashed it's been in the past, and then possibly a cam\head package but nothing too extreme as I still drive it every day.

Edit:
Have seen guys advertising mafless tunes on gumtree from $450-600ish, a bit cheaper than the performance shops. Are these worth considering? Not sure if I should avoid and go with a more reputable tuner.
Example
His ad says "got a cam and not running 11'S or a bolt on not running atleast 12's contact myself...I will take care of those problems"

Last edited:

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
Personally, anything related to tuning I would stick to the well known and trusted shops.

My brother had his falcon tuned in a shop up Greenmount way, they did a good job but I can't remember the name. Kwinana performance is another well known shop.

Street quick performance in maddington specializes in LS engines.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Looks good man , got to love a Black Vz ss .

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Cheers guys, probably looking at taking it to street quick for the mafless tune in a few weeks, just wondering if anyone had experience with the cheaper guys.
Also just added another pic to the first post which i took this morning while the weather was nice.

Have pretty much settled on a decision with getting the headers fitted, will most likely be getting some 2.5" high flow cats through Not an Abba Fan and will be getting him to help with fitting the headers at the same time, hopefully all bolts on nicely to the 3" cat back and sounds a bit tougher but not too loud.
Just waiting on some new exhaust manifold gaskets I ordered to arrive, as well as the O2 sensor extension leads. Was going to scrape off all the old gaskets today but got rained off.

Last edited:

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
I know some people are gonna hate on it, but I picked up a can of night shades today to do my tail lights, yea I know it's illegal but so is half the stuff I plan on doing to this car, I think with stuff like this it all comes down to attitude so unless I'm caught doing something stupid I reckon it should be ok. I haven't gone extreme, i've just done 3 really light coats, I actually think I could go a bit darker as it's not complete coverage, might have been too light with my coats. It got dark a lot quicker than I thought tonight so just did it quick on 1 side as a test, and if it looks good I'll strip it off and do both on saturday in good light.

Wasn't sure how dark it would go or if there would be problems with the lights showing through but it actually seems pretty good IMO.
Obviously it was the right one which I did, like I said I think I could go a bit darker, but will see how it looks in the day light.
I don't think it's dark enough to get the wrong kinda attention.

Will chuck up a better pic when I do both, this was more to compare light penetration and make sure people would still be able to see me on the road. :p

8Uihk2p.jpg

af7j3CD.jpg

9dxRytR.jpg

Last edited: