Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing centre dash from vy/vz Commodore

djpunkasspete

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SV6
I am trying to install a new head unit i've just purchased, but i can't get the dash apart. I don't want to pull at parts of dash in case a break some of the panels. So far i've found screws behind fuse cover door, in the glove box, one screw under the storage pocket and some bolts in the centre console. I can't get the gear knob off either, doesn't seem to screw any particular direction. Any advice would be great, i don't want to pay someone to install a head unit that i can do easily myself. I just need to know how to get the dash apart...

cheers

B

bdcmedia

You have to remove it all if you want to remove the retaining bracket from the stock radio.......

Start by removing the ONE screw which is located under the storage compartment to the right hand side at the back.
Then from the centre consol/arm rest, open it and you will see two squarish indentations. Use a flat blade screw driver here and lever each side up gently till it pops up a bit. Do this gain on the sides of the Gear stick/Auto selector. The rest should then lift out easily. Be careful to un plug the power window, traction control wires underneath first. They have notches in them so they dont just unplug. You have to push a tab in to remove them.
The whole consol area should lift out now. Then locate two screws under the stereo on the sides and undo them. Then at the top of the cosol, gently lever out the cover plate which is only clipped in so it will easily pop out.
Inside you will see 4 screws....remove these....
Now if your car has climate control, the next bit is easy, all you have to do is gently lift the consol frame out and unplug the climate control like you did with the power windows. If you have regular A/C knobs, then this section will remain in place when you remove the consol frame.
To remove the stereo, I have found the easiest way is to get 4 equal size allen keys that will fit into the holes in the corners of the stereo. Insert them and gently apply pressure sideways to remove the stareo.

Thats it...

Hope this helps.

Brett

Bonkas

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
Blinkers and hazards not working

Hey so when I was removing my dash/centre console, I didn't get far into it. When I stuck it back together because I only took the top screws out and that's it, I took it for a small drive and my blinkers weren't working, also I tried the hazard lights and it wasn't working. When I lock the car it still turns in the lights and when using the hazards/blinker it doesn't come up in the dash. This is in an 04 vz. Any ideas, like could I have tampered with the wiring a little when putting it back or messed with the hazard switch or what?
Thanks