Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz ute changing brake light...Tub liner?

Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick one.
I need to change the bulb in my rear brake light and it seems like i need to remove the tub liner. Is this true because i have a toolbox bolted down though it and it would make it quite inconvenient to take it out. Is there any possible way to remove the brake light without taking out the whole tub liner?
Thankyou.

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm this? Can i drill through the tub liner to expose the screws and loosen them that way?

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Nope, the liner needs to be pulled back. Not the whole thing mind you, should just be able to lever or bend one side of the liner out to get to the panel that covers the back of the light.

Where is your toolbox? front or back of the tray?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Check out the photos here, you will see a big panel that goes back almost to the wheel arch that has about 16 screws in it. That's the one you need to remove and there is no possible way of getting access unless you remove it.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/707813-post52.html

Paddymac

Paddymac
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz S Ute
I've just done this. What a drama.. Love my ute but Holden seem to engineer it so you have to go to a dealer just to change a lamp. Ridiculous. !!!!!!
Anyway, first job is to pull back the tub liner. Impossible to lever down as it goes up into the top about 30mm.
I cut it along the top with a grinder for about 500mm and then it can be pulled down to give access to the panel which houses the lamps. Remove about 8 screws and the panel pops off. Easy now ?. This is Holden, nothin is easy. With a real struggle and by manoeuvring the wiring loom the bulb can just be released and changed. If you can't remove the bulb you have to remove the whole rear light assembly. Easy if you've got a workshop full of tools but a struggle for me and my shonky assortment of spanners and things. Some photos hopefully attached for you to see.

Moff007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Ute 2005
Right kiddies
Holden VZ Ute 2005
I did this yesterday and this is how you do it.
You have Torx screws that run along the inside edge of you back, above the tub.
Undo these "4 I think" and it gives the panel that runs along the top of the tub a little flex to move.
The smaller torx screws I also took out thinking it would come loose but it made no difference.
Yank the tub back so it exposed the top part that is 30mm higher that is the pain in the assss in the first place.
Now you have more than enough access to fit the light.
My advise is once you have changed the light cut the 30mm at the top of the tub to 15mm so next time it's easier to yank out and easier to put back.

JeremySS

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Commodore VS SS
Hey guys, I just done this today... after contacting my local dealership I soon figured there was an easy way to do this. Remove all screws at the tailgate end of the deck, lift the center of the tub upward and you’ll see the sides of the tub move downwards, I honestly had no idea about this and it had crossed my mind how I would do this haha. Hope this helps.. took about 25mins to do both sides.

Some Random

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Ute
Pics tell a 1000 words

Attachments

• IMAG0857.jpg
    IMAG0857.jpg
    671.5 KB · Views: 479

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yeah, just undo the screw that holds down the centre. I don't bother undoing the rail (the torx bolts) the liner pops out easy as and there is ample room to undo the screws with a stubby Phillips head screw driver.

I don’t keep my liner screwed down anywhere. No need. Makes it easy to flush out under it to get mud, soil and sand out every year or so. Might do nut-serts along the back at the top and then a small spacer between the liner and the body.

I also made a carpet from marine carpet that buttons on with press studs.