Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Dash cluster swap

Corbs1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6
Hi all,
I've been looking on ebay for a VZ HSV dash cluster to replace the standard cluster in my ute, a standard VZ S-pack ute.
I've found one for a reasonable price, but i need to ask a stupid question =S
If i buy this HSV cluster (out of a wrecked VZ clubby) will it be a simple plug'n'play job? or is there some special programming that needs to occur for the new cluster to work?
(for all the associated new LCD screens, such as instantaneous fuel use etc)

Tuttle

stupidity reigns supreme!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Hi all,
I've been looking on ebay for a VZ HSV dash cluster to replace the standard cluster in my ute, a standard VZ S-pack ute.
I've found one for a reasonable price, but i need to ask a stupid question =S
If i buy this HSV cluster (out of a wrecked VZ clubby) will it be a simple plug'n'play job? or is there some special programming that needs to occur for the new cluster to work?
(for all the associated new LCD screens, such as instantaneous fuel use etc)

The cluster need to be programmed by a Tech2 to be used on a V6 and also be programmed to deal with the number of air bags, the diff, wheel sizes and i think something else.

if u put it straight in then u will have air bag alarms going off

i have done the same as you want to do but i got Phreddy to reprogram it, you can find him in the ASR section on this forum, great guy and does a great job

MagiTEK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S
Alternatively, Holden can program it for around the 100-200 mark. Depends on the dealer.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
except the Kays on the odometer as their stored in the cluster.

Phreddy can adjust the kays, Holden cannot (unless its done less then 100, after 101km the odometer is locked).

And before an argument breaks out about whether it can or cannot be done, ring Holden and ask if they can adjust the kays to suit, and bear in mind Greg (Phreddy) adjusted mine forward 30 000 odd kays ths time last year as I bought an SS dash from a wrecked SS that had travelled less then mine. :beer chug:

Tuttle

stupidity reigns supreme!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
each holden dealer is different, when is spoke to one they said that they dont swap clusters even after i told them that they could and all they had to do was use the tech2 they still said that they couldnt.

easiest option is to email Greg(phreddy) at ASR and speak to him about getting it all fixed up

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
except the Kays on the odometer as their stored in the cluster.

Phreddy can adjust the kays, Holden cannot (unless its done less then 100, after 101km the odometer is locked).

And before an argument breaks out about whether it can or cannot be done, ring Holden and ask if they can adjust the kays to suit, and bear in mind Greg (Phreddy) adjusted mine forward 30 000 odd kays ths time last year as I bought an SS dash from a wrecked SS that had travelled less then mine. :beer chug:

Yep, the WL statesman cluster i bought had 141000km on it but my car had only done 55000km.
All Greg did was read the ks out of my SV6 cluster & transferred them to the WL cluster.
This is done by removing the cluster chip.

Its just a matter copying & pasting

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
they dont swap clusters even after i told them that they could
yup their like that :boxing:

Corbs1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6
Rightyo cheers guys.
Greg's done my current cluster, as in the LED conversion, but i want to be different (and be a typical car nut) by blowing money on a new cluster.
If i win it, i'll get Greg to work his magic on it next time he comes to Adelaide.
Thanks again

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I'd suggest when you get it, post it to Greg, he'll be happy to do the reprogram (and led conversion cough cough), that way when you get it back it'll just be plug and play.

This'll be quicker then waiting for the next Adelaide roadtrip, and you know Gregs work so you know he'll look after it.

This is one of the only things Greg can do without needing the car :smoking:

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
I swapped mine out for an HSV unit a while back.

I lost my cruise control function but apart from that it's great.