Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOOKING UP: Solar Panel in VZ Executive

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
CAR ELECTRICS:

I bought a 12v cigarete lighter solar panel ages ago.......... but never hooked it up cause of the fact the VZ's cut all the internal electrics when the car goes off etc and for that reason hooking it up via the cigarete lighter is not an option.

I've been looking around, from what I understand I need a charge controller to cut the solar panel off after a set voltage......... most cut it off at 14 volts.

So I take it I could run the panel directly to the charge controller then the battery?

Just wondering if anyones done this before? Obviously the idea is to keep charge in the battery if something drains it or you have some odd issue.

** I figure it'd be handy and I kinda wouldn't mind putting it to use. Chuck it up on my rear parcel shelf.

JohnsonPil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executiv
CAR ELECTRICS:

I bought a 12v cigarete lighter solar panel ages ago.......... but never hooked it up cause of the fact the VZ's cut all the internal electrics when the car goes off etc and for that reason hooking it up via the cigarete lighter is not an option.

I've been looking around, from what I understand I need a charge controller to cut the solar panel manufactured in
solar panels factory off after a set voltage......... most cut it off at 14 volts.

So I take it I could run the panel directly to the charge controller then the battery?

Just wondering if anyones done this before? Obviously the idea is to keep charge in the battery if something drains it or you have some odd issue.

** I figure it'd be handy and I kinda wouldn't mind putting it to use. Chuck it up on my rear parcel shelf.

Hello I am in similar condition..Need to hook up the panel? Please can you help me out? I hope you will reply soon..

Last edited:

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Hi, I don't know what your power requirements are but this Brisbane company stock imported voltage regulators suitable for motor vehicles.
I know a couple of off roaders who use their products.
(I have no business connections with this company).

Products & Services

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Check the kit you bought didn't come with clips ? if it came with clip , put some eyelets on that part and hook up to battery.
I have one hooked up to my Gator, direct to battery and the battery's always fresh.

Anyway, if you're worried that the regulator might be in the cig lighter part, then hook this up to your battery, this is how i hooked up the battery on the fire pump.
Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket.jpg

or get the one with clips and put on eyelets.
sku_173944_1.jpg