Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alternator Change

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Anyone done a VZ alternator change before?

I got my stock 100amp one, switching to a VE 120 amp model (aparently fits vz's fine etc)....

Is it fairly easy, looks it....... my main question is here is reguarding the belts...... do I have to undo the tensioner and does it matter if the belts move (as in wont effect timing etc) ........

I beleive timing is all computer run but I'm just making sure....... *better to be safe then sorry*

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
dont you tune your own car... But ask if the rubber belt that can slip will effect timing... Even in an engine that has a timing chain...

I think your better off not installing the alternator but put a solar panel on the parcel shelf... Imagine the power gain by no drag of the alternator... + you car will keep the charge overnight as you have the solar panel working... ;)

Danoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 06 Exec
hahahahaha Along with those painted engine covers im sure his Alloytec will be well over 300Kw when he is done.

LMAO... This is another gold thread by bigdaddyfool. :bomb:

How can somebody who claims to know so much about cars, know absolutely NOTHING about how it works.

Last edited:

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
right..... well thanks for not answering my question. My question reguarding the alternator is cause my dads vz, an auto electricial took his off at some stage of the rebuild and dad said he clamped the belt to the pullies so they didn't move.

So I just wanted to make sure.... As for the solar panel, my battery went flat overnight one night randomly......... as far as i've found it was just an odd event where the commodore left something on randomly..... so yes I would like to make use of an autocharge system to prevent it in future if it ever happens again. Makes it hard getting to work when the car wont start obviously.

But thats ok. I'll just go ahead and do it myself while you guys flounder around acting like twits. So much for 'help' in the forum.

marcdon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Evec 05
mate i havent been on here long. but if you dont act like a wank ppl seem to be very helpful

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Lol, but seriously

To the OP, havent done one myself, mate.
You do have to undo the tensioner to remove the alternator. Move the alternator back, then remove the belt from the pully & attach it to something so it wont move.
It does take alot of effort to move the belt when there on the pulleys. I wouldnt worry to much.

Danoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 06 Exec
right..... As for the solar panel, my battery went flat overnight one night randomly......... as far as i've found it was just an odd event where the commodore left something on randomly..... so yes I would like to make use of an autocharge system to prevent it in future if it ever happens again. Makes it hard getting to work when the car wont start obviously.

You dont get it do you? No solar panel is going to charge your battery over night!!!! hahahahahahahahaha!

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I think the timing is done by chains thats concealed anyway

Im pretty sure its only the aux drive belt your moving out of the way so it wont matter.

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
You dont get it do you? No solar panel is going to charge your battery over night!!!! hahahahahahahahaha!

I'm pretty sure solar panels store energy from the sun, and then releases it when it requires it, anytime.
IF the vehicles is garaged at all times though, then yes, it wouldnt work.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
just to put a dampner on this aswell,

the ve alternator WILL NOT work on a vz, the ve alternator dosnt not have a regulator in it as such, it is regulated in the ecm, not self governed, it will bolt up, but wont work