Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tinting Tail Light

matt_06

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing yet
Hey guys.

Im looking to tint my tail lights on my omega.

How do i go about this? How can I take off the lights?

Also what part of it do i paint?. Do i paint the plastic cover of it? Is there any need to remove the globes etc?

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
g'day mate.

I believe it's done with something called "nightshade" similar to spray paint.
you can get it from any auto/paint shop. autobarn and repco sell it.

Just take your tail lights out, tape up the sections you don't want tinted, and apply as many coats as you feel. (1 or 2 usually does the trick)

do a youtube search of it if you arnt confident.

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
Just would like to mention, don't do it too dark hey.. if someone slams into your backside your insurance may be void because they can claim they didnt see you break lights due to the tinting

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
to remove the lights, there should be 3 nuts holding them in.

in regards to tinting them, i have done mine an went to a pro painter, cost me $50 but that was mates rates and they look similar to the ss lights on the vz's.

i wouldn't use nightshade because it will give a matte finish on the lights and yeah, don't go too dark, depending on where you live your brake lights must be seeable from 200m away

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
The tail and stop light are required by law to produce a certain amount of luminence (brightness). By tinting your lights will no longer provide such luminence and you run the risk of someone rear-ending you or being defected.
Any (ANY) modification(s), unless approved to ADR standards, that change/alter/modify any aspect of your vehicle from the ADR standards/requirements that existed at the time of manufacture of your vehicle are ILLEGAL.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
The tail and stop light are required by law to produce a certain amount of luminence (brightness). By tinting your lights will no longer provide such luminence and you run the risk of someone rear-ending you or being defected.
Any (ANY) modification(s), unless approved to ADR standards, that change/alter/modify any aspect of your vehicle from the ADR standards/requirements that existed at the time of manufacture of your vehicle are ILLEGAL.

Every topic I see you seem to quote the "ADR standards". Honestly I think everyone in this forum is well all aware that any modifications you make to your car you're running the risk of breaching ADR standards. I understand that your trying to make people aware of this, but I think everyone already knows the obvious mate. People are looking for answers to their questions, not someone who wants to quote ADR standards. Correct me if I'm wrong guys but it's seriously starting to give me the sh*ts every time you bring this up! :bang:

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
agreed on the giving of the shits, lol, like when i asked about scrubbing guards and how to fix them, they were telling me how dangerous chopped springs are..... yet ive still got them in and they havent fallen out lol, but meh, tinting lights is way less dangerous...

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black

whilst this is true, they must be seeable from 200m away, which mine are so still comply with adr's

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
couple coats of night shade, let it dry over night then a couple coats of clear to make it look nice and shiny ( unless you like that flat matt finish). F**k the laws mate, do what you wanna do, lifes too short to worry about petty **** just don't go too dark, then you'll get shafted.

Her VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS ute
I tinted mine with nightshade and left the matt finish quite like it as it's different and always get positive comments about them I only put 2 coats on mine and got pulled for them being tinted you can still see the light easily even though they are tinted but cops said that because of the matt finish they are illegal they can be tinted but has to be clear tint like the stuff you can now get to tint your headlights. It's like a tint film similar to window tint only made for headlights. I'm yet to find someone with a product suitable for tail lights. :( Although the guy who tinted my headlights said he will have a product in the coming months.