Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice Needed Please with Power Window Problem

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
If someone could offer me some advice on this problem please. I'd like to know how you go about replacing the power window motor in a VZ, below is a description of my problem and what happened. I suspect it's the electric motor.

All of a sudden without warning my passenger side window stopped working, after lowering it a little on the way to work like i always do upon arriving it failed to let me it put it back up again. I could hear the relay for that window making a ticking noise when i had he button pressed to try and raise it but nothing from the window, as i lifted my finger off of the button the window would do a tiny downwards movement even tho i was trying to make it go up.
Later on in the day i tried it again and it "shuddered" down and after that it started working fine again consistently. Leaving from work to head home i tried it again(i now wish i had've left it alone) and it wound down normally and back up a few times but then failed, it refused to go back up with the relay ticking noise again. Changing the relays from the driver side made no difference, the drivers side continued to work with the passengers relay and the passenger window failed with the changed drivers side relay.

Anyone had experience with replacing the motor mechanism? I taken off the door panel and plastic, it looks pretty inaccessible with the winding gear pop riveted in place with the motor.
Is there something i can do to manually wind the window back up again so i can secure the car and not having to worry about rain? There seemed to be a round black plastic wheel of sorts that looked like you could turn that for manual movement but it refused to budge.

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I bought a whole new power window regulator today, cost me $187 only to find out that's not what the problem is, hopefully conventries will let me return the part even tho it's been opened.

So I’ve changed the relays, removed the old electric motor and mechanism arms(damaged my window tinting the progress) and tried out a new one, still the same problem. The relay just ticks and the motor will only wind "down" in a shuddering motion, I did this with the regulator outside of the door, not installed yet so there was no load on it proving it's not the window getting stuck either.

Anyone have ideas on what else it could be? After doing some googling I’ve read a lot of complaints about the "power switch" for the power windows on older model commodores, I don’t want to go out replacing that as well only to find that still isn't it.

Maybe it’s the electronic component that controls the voltage to the window with the auto wind if the button is held for a moment. Without the workshop manual I’m going along blindly...

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I discovered it was the power window switches board in the center console, i removed it then pulled it apart and saw that one of the pins on the PCB had no solder on it. It had the tiniest dab on it from manufacture, no wonder the circuit broke. I resoldered properly and it works fine now.

At the end of the day it's a lesson learnt should i ever encounter something like that again, very unlikely. Now i'm stuck with a scratched up window tint i need to get redone, problem is it'll be very hard to match the rest of the tinting and might look odd.

1FATVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Hey guys,
sorry if this is off topic but ive got an issue with my passenger window,
the problem is that it sometimes doesn't go all the way up (probably about 5-10mm from the top),
sometimes if i hold the button to get it up, it will creep up slowly or sometimes it wont move from that position,
anyone know what i can do about this?
cheers.

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Could be the runners need a bit of lube, a dry silicon spray is good for that.

After just having my apart I saw how it all works, there's some silders that the regulator mechanism uses, make sure they've got a good bit of grease in them there's 3 all up. 1 is hidden behind the door frame but is removable via bolts, the other 2 are attached to the bottom of the window.

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
yep, make sure you have 8 screws out before you start trying to pull it off, one is hidden behind the inside door release handle and one is hidden behind the lock popup thingy

desone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT BERLINA SERIES 1
Anyone with power window problems with a Commodore VT onwards should look at the two small plastic runner guides. It is a very common fault. They only cost a couple of dollars, but are a bit of a pain to install. You will have to remove the door trim and plastic lining to access the workings.

This should solve most of the power window problems. The fault usually appears as a jammed window or a window not operating smoothly.

Tilt99

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 commodore
Hi I have a VZ and after a loud clunk whilst driving I have discovered that the rear passenger window glass has come away from the motor(the motor works fine still). Is there any way that I can reconnect the glass to the motor myself.

Thanks in advance