Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plenum

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
hey guys, i was just looking through a workshop manual for my vz v6 ute to try rectify my rough idle..there is the possibility of vacuum leaks, i was wondering if everytime you take the plenum off, you need to replace the gasket between the plenum and intake manifold..any help is appreciated:)
cheers

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
yeh as it'll distort when you lift it off.

Or use gasket goo, that's what I've done with mine as it was supplied with the MACE insulators.

I believe they have a cheaper genuine gasket these days as it needs to be replaced when you change spark plugs, it used to be $100+ but as I said I just use the gasket goo.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
what a **** of an idea haha, when you say it used to be $100 +, was that just the gaskets, or spark plugs and gasket together?..**** paying 100 bux for a gasket ahaha

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
no, back in the early day (07/07) before spark plugs we're anywhere near ready to be changed (actually back when fleet cars were getting "sort of close" to spark plug change time) Holden had the gasket for upward of $100. I know because I was going to change mine when I bought the car with 92 000 kays on it, so I knew it had everything done.

Apparently as servicing became more regular and people were needing to buy the replacement gasket (ie supply and damand) the price came down, and I think (may be wrong tho you'd have to check) its now reusable. But as I said, by the time I got to doing mine according to the schedule I had installed the MACE insulators so I just used the supplied stuff.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Yeah i think they now use the plenum gasket off the VE which is reusable ($55), unlike the old paper gasket used previously on the VZ.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
i see i see, i havent' had my car long and it's up for a 75 000 km service...i gotta do a fair bit to it..the general service, plus im doing coolant change seeing as though it's every 5 years you change ur coolant..i have a transmission/diff whine, transmission is a bit notchy and clunky or hard to get into some gears sometimes so im changing oil in both transmission and diff, i have an exhaust leak which i think is just a buggered U-bolt between the pipe and resinator...plus the possibility of a vacuum leak, however, i dont wanna have to pay holden to do all of that, it's gunna be a bloody expensive job that way, so doing some research and using my own knowledge i might tackle some of them myself, i might try find the vacuum leak (if there is one) myself seeing as though i know what holden will do (sorry, nothing wrong..or days/weeks of so called "diagnostics" which will not help me in the end, and i'll have to pay a **** load of labour)..anywho, besides attempting to find the vacuum leak im gunna do the exhaust leak...i'd like to do the tranny and diff oil change, except i haven't gotten a straight answer out of anyone on what oil is meant to go in them..ahh well, looks like i might have to pay up this time to get the work done..*sigh*..thanks for the help fellas, i'll probably do the vacuum leak later on when i have a few quid in the bank haha..thanks guys

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
i have removed my intake manifold a couple of times, if the gasket isnt torn or damged it doesnt need replacing (in my experience) but as mentioned give it a hit with gasket goo to be sure!

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
i've had a look through nearly everyone of the alloytec threads under the frequently asked questions section..couldn't find anything..hence why i started a new thread...sorry if i have missed something, i just need a straight answer before i stuff something up