Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust heat shield rattle

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
Hi,

I did a search and found a few similar topics but didnt want to revive old threads.

My VZ is on super lows and as such my heat shields under the car have taken a bit of damage due to steep driveways and dodgy roads in my area, i was wondering can i just remove them without any bad side effects, the shield in question is under the car at the very end of the headers where the it meets the cat convertor. At low revs it rattles and vibrates realy bad and sounds like a shitbox.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
heat shields just stop hot air rising into the engine don't they?..if the heat shields just keep engine bay temperatures cooler, then you might find ur intake pipe will get a bit warmer, so ur gunna get warmer air into the engine, rather then cooler, resulting in a minor performance loss...?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Take them off.

If you have heat issues through the floor pan, you can buy adhesive backed heat tape. Put that on.

BUT you should be right.
Be careful though, your intake pipe may get hot.

lol

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
the only thing im worried about is my floor getting overly hot, i assume holden put the shields there for some perticular reason.

i might try and take them off and straighten them first, drive it for a few days and see how it goes.

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Hi all
I felt my air intake pipe after driving it gets realy hot
Has anyone heard of aftermaket heat shields to stop this problem???

rabs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Wagon and EH holden
I strongly recomend that you have the heat shields there, whether you replace them with new ones or leave old ones on because the cat converter gets VERY VERY hot. they are put there for a reason, and it could lead to your floor pan getting way to hot, with carpet sitting on it is never a good combination

ads3630

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore Executive
I asked my mechanic about it awhile ago, he worked for Holden for 20 years before starting his shop up... He said the common fix at Holden is to remove em..

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
I agree, everything is always over engineered. I had mine removed because i got 2.5" put in, no noticeable increase in heat. And it wont affect your intake because its under the floor not the bonnet(If you are talking after the cats, if you mean the manifold heat shield, removing it will heat your engine bay, marginally).

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
So this is a bit of a dig,
but I have been having the same problem lately. And its only getting worse.
By now my car sounds like a rattling tin can at low revs. It honestly sounds terrible.
I can only hear it when I'm next to another car or a wall for the sound to bounce back against & it sounds like it's about halfway back. I thought it was the cold weather or something but it's just painful to listen to!

So my other problem, where the F**k are the heat shields and what do they look like? I have a feeling mine have been removed and my issues is somewhat more dramatic. Any ideas? Pictures maybe to help me check?

Please help!!