Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 6 Speed Gearbox - Your Experiences ?

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
just interested to see what others think of the VZ V6 gearbox ....

generally its fine to use, however when taking of hard in first, rev to redline then drop it into second, i find i have alot of trouble getting it into gear ... is this just me or is it a bit of a common thing ?

the car has 20,000km's on it now so i wouldn't think it would be a new box issue, it has been like this pretty much for as long as i can remember.

ash sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
First to redline/ revlimiter and into second I have never had a problem, I find the gears slot in very nicely.

Grumble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 manual
No problems here, nearly 30,000 km and box shifts fine all ratios. Have had it jump out of gear on very rough roads twice but wouldn't call that a fault.
Driven some better any many worse. Better than VX1 S 5 speed of old car anyway but suppose that wouldn't be difficult.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
the downshift from 2nd to 1st in peak hour traffic can be a bit crunchy, the cars only done 1600 K's, but compared to the VS its 400% smoother, and apart from that most gear changes seem un noticable especially with the music up and the tacho needle dropping to low revs when it shifts!

V

vzdriver

Sammy said:
just interested to see what others think of the VZ V6 gearbox ....

generally its fine to use, however when taking of hard in first, rev to redline then drop it into second, i find i have alot of trouble getting it into gear ... is this just me or is it a bit of a common thing ?

the car has 20,000km's on it now so i wouldn't think it would be a new box issue, it has been like this pretty much for as long as i can remember.

yeah i had a similar problem with mine, just take it back to holden and tell them, should be covered under warranty, lol but leave the part out about you redlining it, the tend to frown upon that behaviour.

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
The 6 spd box is the best part of the car in my opinion. No problems at this stage and being japanese I'm not really expecting there to be any.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Yeah, I get a crunch (and the very occasional missed shift) into second when I'm pushing it.

Might take it up with the General.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
yeah i sorta get the feeling the second gear syncro is a bit dickie ... its not a huge issue but i will probably just let them know about it at the next service ... its not that far away

thanks for your inputs people.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Sammy, it's been 2 months you had that service yet? what did the holden guys say? its normal? lol..Does it crunch ever time you go from 1st to 2nd? or just wont go in?..as a whole would you still recommend the 6 speeder? I'm still tossing up wether to go the M6 or A5.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
nah service is on the 11th of nov (saturday week) so i will know then.

i think it is more just that it doesn't want to go in properly and grinds as a result, or i miss a gear ....

it only seems to do it when i take of hard, eg. high rpm changes ... sounds to me like the syncro just can't get up to speed in time.

aside from this issue i think the box is great and from what others have said here they are a great box .... i wouldn't use my issues as a reason not to get one ....

use your need as the reason to get whichever .... if you like a manual, then get it, if you prefer auto then go that route .....

i reckon its one of the nicest manuals i've seen in a commodore.