Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Catch Cans// Worth it??

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Was wandering through Supercrap today and noticed a special on Oil Catch Cans, thought it would look nice in the engine bay however is there any benefit to it, is it worth the show?

I have been led to believe it aids in keeping the manifold cleaner..

"Oil in a manifold or cylinder will reduce octane and in extreme cases cause detonation. By filtering this airflow, you reduce the oil into the manifold and improve performance (or rather reduce the chance of reduced performance)"

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
WOFTAM = waste of f***ing time and money. If the engine is in good order there is not much chance of oil getting in via the PCV system.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I'm not sure if the 6's would benefit like the 8's (I can't see why not though, to whatever extent). Impulsive, what you quoted in your first post is very true.

MattMarkey

Matty
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ CALAIS
yeah i've been looking into getting one too. small thing, keep the manifold clean, nice little piece in ur engine bay. even if it doesnt make a difference performance wise, it would still keep it clean.
go for it i reckon..! =)

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
As wikky said you answered your own question.
BTW for the benefit of wortus the pcv system is designed to work efficiently when the engine is new and driven normally but as soon as you start pushing high revs the PCV system cannot handle the load and some of the blow by is pushed back through the pcv breather inlet hose and into the intake.
I have never pulled down a brand new intake system but when ever I have removed an intake from any car with a few kays on it for modifications the inside is always coated in some form of oil.

Macca87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
My vz only has 60k on it and there is plenty of oil in the intake so going to get one any ideas which pipes to tap into?

hsv453

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Z series Clubsport
Every car is different even with the same motor. how its treated and been serviced etc
I done some research on here and on us sites and the ls2's do have blow by problems and a catch can does help them.. found little bit of oil in mine on the weekend, thinking of a catch can shortly..

wattles

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Sv6 04
when i pulled my manifold apart to put manifold insulators in the manifold had abit of oil in it, is that bad?