Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Timing Chains - hard to replace?

dharry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
So my VZ with only 135k on the clock has died... Holden tell me that although the cams are turning, the chains have probably streached and slipped a tooth on the gear hence it wont start.

They tell me it would be cheaper to replace the engine than to have the chains replaced...wtf?

SO how hard can it be to change the chains on this thing?

Any thoughts most welcome, or guids on how to do it or anything really :)

Cheers
Dean

dharry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
oh, I should add that the compression on the cylinders is really low... around 75psi, they also tell me it should be up around 200-250... another sign of the timing chains...

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Possibly Timing Chain Tensioner, had one die on me, resulting in a 'tapping' sound and reduced performance..

Broken Tensioner, see the split?
DSCF7850.jpg

Cost me $1100 to diagnose and repair and inc the cost of a service

Here is a pic of the Alloytec exposed!

DSCF7841-1.jpg

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Looking at that bottem picture, i wonder what could possibly cause one of the timing chains to 'Stretch' and how could they possibly diagnose it without having it apart like that? I would recommend getting a second opinion.

If you find yourself in need of a new motor Alloytec are about $4000

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
are they running the crankshaft sprocket to the 2 lower sprockets..then another chain up to the 2 top camshaft sprockets on each side?..what'd they do to get all that exposed? take off the serpentine belt and things that run a pulley(power steering, A/C etc), was it a plastic cover over the timing chain? then take rocker covers, plenum and inlet manifold off?

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
so is your car just losing power? does it feel very sluggish and like it's running off 5 cylinders?..we've all seen those beaten up VT's going around where the driver plants their foot and the car just goes brrrr, and goes next to no where...i've worked on a couple of ecotec where they've had valve springs broken..there's nothing wrong with the engine, its just one cylinder fighting against the valves and compression therefore losing power and feeling sluggish...so yea if you can, or get a decent independant mechanic to, just check your valves and springs and camshaft wear etc

if everything seems ok there, get a compression test done...at an indepedant mechanic with a reputable name..if you ask them to diagnose something, they'll do it right for you so they can get your business to fix the problem..get them to do a wet and dry test..just incase you don't know i'll give you a little bit of info on it.

dry test- spark plugs are taken out and a pump like device is scrwed into the spark plugs place...they put pressure into the cylinder to make sure it's holding compression..if it holds pressure, it's fine, if not, it could be a number of things that won't allow it to seal eg, piston rings, cracks in the cylinder, bent valves or they aren't seating properly etc...leave the mechanic to diagnose whats precisely wrong.

wet test-, they will put oil into the cylinder..gravity will cause the oil to drop straight onto the piston and around the rings...they do the same thing as a dry test now, put pressure in it and see if it holds pressure...if it holds, it's almost guaranteed it wil be rings..seeing as though the oil will help form a seal around the rings, therefore, better compression.

well thats just a bit of basic information about it...and what you could be up for...but don't trust holden, i've worked there and i've even been asked to do a bodgy job for a customer just to keep him happy...i got into an argument koz i didn't want to do a dogy job...independant well known mechanic..maybe even a performance place will be a good place too.

if you can describe to me what exactly and every single symptom you can tell me..any observations you've had, just tell me..i have a bit of handy info(service manual) that may help you out to diagnose it.

cheers mate

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Pretty much to expose the motor like that you have to remove intake manifold, rocker covers, all accesories in front of the timing chain cover. Belt and im pretty sure there is another bit part of it.

dharry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Hey mate,

Well basically the symptons are like this...

Saturday it was running fine, started it up Sunday morning and it was a bit rougher than normal, took off and felt there was just no power, got on the freeway and put the cruise control on and it was just gutless... every slight rise in the road it would kick back 2 gears just to keep going. Drove for about 20 mins then stopped at a petrol station, put some more fuel in and it just wouldn't start again. Cranks over just doesn't fire.

Thought it might have been the fuel pump or blocked filter so had a guy change those but same result, wont fire.

I've had 2 different people (1 independant, 1, holden) compression test 3 different cylinders and they were all pretty low, around 75psi.

The holden guys told me the timing chain may have slippled a tooth on the gear but to find out for sure they said they would have to start stripping the ewngine down and wanted a fortune to do so.

So basically that's where it is at... spent close to $1000 on it in fuel pump, filter, diagnosis and towing in the last 4 days for no result :-S

What so you think?

Cheers,
Dean