Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alloytec underdrive pulleys

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
Hi All,

got around a couple of days ago to install my 20% underdrive harmonic balancer (powerbond)

other than the HUGE job to get the old one off, which was the biggest pain in the A*** ever, I must say that it was worth it.

Initial reaction was slightly better response, freer revving from idle and a smoother idle.
A slight improvement in power and economy surprisingly, and for no real loss, engine temp is fine, alternator is fine, and aircon even works fine.

The notorious "crappy vz water pump" might just last a bit longer due to less strain on it now, but otherwise, a fair improvement for such a small price
($325 delivered, includes 2 new pulleys that you can keep for spares, and a new very high quality belt to fit). When installing, don't bother taking the tensioner or anything off, no need unless you want to replace the pulleys.

And, provided u have some experience and the right tools, the vz has plenty of room between the balancer and radiator, so all you need to remove is the intake pipe to get it off.

I know not many people have done it, but i will highly reccommend it for anybody whos interested :)

Edit: and no, you won't need a hoist either, although it might be more confortable, it can be done from above the engine bay

doms1

Reaction score
Members Ride
BANNED
Good to know ,have been thinking of doing this now I will

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
The same thing can be archived via VCM Suite with adjustments to the various idle scenario's.

(alloytech tuning) as it will lower idle rates and also reduce the drag via having the lower idle etc.

kngsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
wana install one for me mate... im hopeless with this stuff