Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what does it m ean by drone?

kngsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
sorry i know this is a stupid question but what does it mean when an exhaust drones?

cheers

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 50th anniversary Manual FG XR6T
when an engine gets to a certain revs, the exhaust resonates (vibrates in a frequency) and gives off a hum/noise that sounds like a large subwoofer with voltage coming through it !.... a dull constant noise... hard to describe lol... pain in the ass if its at the speed limit !

i have had it before with jap blitz exhaust on a GTB legacy. had to sit above or below a certain speed due to drone..... consumed the whole interior ! done my head in !

Last edited:

kngsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
kkinda like a monotone?

can any one get a youtube video of an exhaust droning so i know exactly what its like

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Yes droning is when the exhaust sounds like it's playing a single note at low rpms. Just like a subwoofer playing a test tone. Some people refer to drone as "sounding like a wet fart". It's very irritating when just cruising around at low rpm or idling.

Drone
YouTube - my v6 commodore exhaust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdUcHryZJg

No Drone - note that the engine itself is louder then the exhaust at idle/low rpm.
YouTube - VX V6 exhaust in HD

Usually caused by insufficient muffling. Larger diameter exhausts tend to drone more since their resonant frequency is lower therefore they have a tendency to drone at idle/cruising rpms.

Last edited:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I've had a droning exhaust and it blows, no fun at all.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Resulting noise from an exhust that 'drones' will be a seriously bad headache for the driver, occupants and anyone else withen earshot.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Yes droning is when the exhaust sounds like it's playing a single note at low rpms. Just like a subwoofer playing a test tone. Some people refer to drone as "sounding like a wet fart". It's very irritating when just cruising around at low rpm or idling.

Drone
YouTube - my v6 commodore exhaust
YouTube - Commodore Vx s cruising around Exhaust

No Drone - note that the engine itself is louder then the exhaust at idle/low rpm.
YouTube - VX V6 exhaust in HD

Usually caused by insufficient muffling. Larger diameter exhausts tend to drone more since their resonant frequency is lower therefore they have a tendency to drone at idle/cruising rpms.

haha the second drone one is mine lol. it was a straight through 2.5 with one hotdog. i wouldnt say it droned though, it was just loud and bad sounding

kngsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
hmm yeah i could imagine how annoying it would be..
im going to get just a catback exhaust on my vz sv6.
just wondering which systems will drone and which system i should go for.
size wise and brand wise?
i was thinkin twin 2,25" xforce or redback.
what yous think

cheerss.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
I put in 4th on the highway at 100kph. It drones like a mother####er, but I love it.