Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Engine and electrics cut-out

Problem VZ SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have stock standard VZ SV6, only 50,000k's, female driver only and it cuts out in the morning. It will sometimes require a couple of cranks to start, but then idles and runs fine, until a minute or two, or a few hundred metres it just dies - complete cut out, no engine, no electrics - when driving. Slip the car into neutral or park, re-start, and it is fine for the rest of the day.

This started last summer, we had it at Holden for weeks on end over 10 visits and they could never "repeat" the fault - even though it happened most mornings, before 9am only - once there is some heat in the day it is fine..... Through the last winter the fault went away and we thought it had been rectified, but it happened for the first time again this morning - nice day, bit of sunshine at 8:30am.....

I assume it is a condensation on a sensor problem, or some other weather variant issue - the car is parked outside overnight. Can someone please help - it is dangerous to drive....

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
I cant say I have ever had the problem myself, but it did happen on my friends VE SS. All I did for that was hit most of the plugs with some silicon spray and make sure the O2 sensor was plugged in properly.

I am sure someone else can give a better solution though :)

Golfer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Crewman Storm
I have the same problem. HELP. Holden can't Help. My Crewman Storm cuts out with the same symptoms, even the CD eject keep going with the keys in my hands. PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have stock standard VZ SV6, only 50,000k's, female driver only and it cuts out in the morning. It will sometimes require a couple of cranks to start, but then idles and runs fine, until a minute or two, or a few hundred metres it just dies - complete cut out, no engine, no electrics - when driving. Slip the car into neutral or park, re-start, and it is fine for the rest of the day.

This started last summer, we had it at Holden for weeks on end over 10 visits and they could never "repeat" the fault - even though it happened most mornings, before 9am only - once there is some heat in the day it is fine..... Through the last winter the fault went away and we thought it had been rectified, but it happened for the first time again this morning - nice day, bit of sunshine at 8:30am.....

I assume it is a condensation on a sensor problem, or some other weather variant issue - the car is parked outside overnight. Can someone please help - it is dangerous to drive....[/QUOTE]

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I cant say I have ever had the problem myself, but it did happen on my friends VE SS. All I did for that was hit most of the plugs with some silicon spray and make sure the O2 sensor was plugged in properly.

I am sure someone else can give a better solution though :)

I wouldn't recommend using Silicon spray on electrical connections (plugs) for fear of 'contamination'. I suggest using Electrical Contact Cleaner or MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor cleaner (spray can) available from all good Auto Shops. Electrical Contact Cleaner is probably available from places like JAYCAR.