Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Handbrake Light

VZSILK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I have had one RACV guy come out that seemed like he knew jack ****. the light stays on - even when the handbrake's off - and i can drive still without a second thought/it feeling tight. FLuid checked out - so im thinking a wiring problem. Anyone shed some light on it?

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
I have had one RACV guy come out that seemed like he knew jack ****. the light stays on - even when the handbrake's off - and i can drive still without a second thought/it feeling tight. FLuid checked out - so im thinking a wiring problem. Anyone shed some light on it?

FYI, the park brake is purely an independent cable system (with completely separate brake shoes), that does not operate at all with the hydraulic service brakes.

Are you sure it is the park brake warning light that is operating incorrectly, as I know that when the park brake is applied when the vehicle is moving, the chimes start going off? If so, then it could either be a faulty brake fluid level indicator switch or park brake switch, or a short to earth to the instrument cluster assembly, that is causing the fault, as they are both connected to the same point on the instrument cluster assembly. Try disconnecting the yellow/red (possibly brown/orange if vehicle has stability control) wire from each switch in turn, to help isolate the problem. Another possibility (although I imagine much less likely), is that the internal resistor connected across the brake fluid level indicator switch has shorted, which would give a similar indication.

djlen_ny

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ Crewman V6
I'd actually like to know the location of the handbrake (electrical) wire to connect to a new aftermarket DVD/GPS unit... Also colour if possible

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I'd actually like to know the location of the handbrake (electrical) wire to connect to a new aftermarket DVD/GPS unit... Also colour if possible

PLease explain (elaborate) why would you want to connect a DVD/GPS unit to the handbrake (electrical wire) !! The VZ (and other models) are somewhat more complex with the technology used to distribute power throughout the vehicle. Connecting additional airing without giving due consideration to possible ramifications can lead to much heartache and unnecessary expense. Good luck.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
PLease explain (elaborate) why would you want to connect a DVD/GPS unit to the handbrake (electrical wire) !! The VZ (and other models) are somewhat more complex with the technology used to distribute power throughout the vehicle. Connecting additional airing without giving due consideration to possible ramifications can lead to much heartache and unnecessary expense. Good luck.

It's a lockout system that disables playback/use while the handbrake is off. For safety.