Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Over Heating SV6 When Engine Is Off.

MC_WERKS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 A5
Hey everyone,

Long time guest first time post,

It seems my car (SV6 2006) is showing on the temp gauge that it is in the red after the car has been parked up with the engine off for 5 or 10 mins after a 30 to 40min drive, Ive just replaced the radaitor cap as that when and fixed a very minor leak in the cooling system.

The SV doesnt overheat in traffic with the ac on or off and will drop down within a minute or two off turning the car on and driving away.

My thoughts are the Thermostat isnt opening fully and needs the water pump to push it open.

Any idea?

Cheers,

Matty

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
It is perfectly normal for an engine to continue to create heat and heat build up when the engine has stopped. If you are worried about it, suggest you install a Davies Craig electronic water pump that can be configured to run for 10 -15 minutes after the engine is switched off. This action helps to prevent heat build up by dissipating it into the cooling system. The added bonus is that by de-activating the belt driven water pump you can apparently pick up about 7kw extra power.

MC_WERKS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 A5
It is perfectly normal for an engine to continue to create heat and heat build up when the engine has stopped. If you are worried about it, suggest you install a Davies Craig electronic water pump that can be configured to run for 10 -15 minutes after the engine is switched off. This action helps to prevent heat build up by dissipating it into the cooling system. The added bonus is that by de-activating the belt driven water pump you can apparently pick up about 7kw extra power.

Ah ok, I know this might sound like a stupid question but can it cause damage? Can I have the fan run longer to cure the issue?

Nitronic_12

Loser of the loser flyby
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Wagon
I had something similar with my Calais, only that it after about 20min of driving the needle would stick around the 3/4 mark on the gauge, and after I turned it off the radiator fan would keep going til the engine would cool off. Turned out for me, I had a broken coolant cap... the only on the right of the engine, and my heater valve was shot as well. Had to get replacements from Holden, actually got it done this morning.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Thermostat isnt relevent when the car isnt running as the water isnt moving anyway.

If it doesnt get hot in traffic then everything should be functioning normally.

coasty

the voices told me to
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz equipe & vt berlina both v6
heat rises so the temp sensor reads hot. nothing to worry about

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
The fan staying on after the car has stopped doesn't do anything. The coolant has to be moving through the radiator and engine block before it will do anything.

I work on buses as an apprentice(Bus drivers always reporting overheating, after they turn bus off), heat soaking into the coolant from the engine makes the temp gauge often read over 100c.

But if when you turn the car back on, and the gauge almost immediately falls back to a safe level, its fine.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
These engines just suffer some serious heatsoak when you pull up and turn them off. The intake manifold for example will usually rise 20-40'c within about 10-15 mins after you've turned the car off......... and the coolant temp will also rise somewhat. You should only worry about it unless say if you start your car of a morning and your water pumps squeaks most times......... because that then means your car is too hot when u turn it off. And it will eventually stuff the water pump if it's not fixed.

What I generally do is about 2-3 mins just before I get home while driving turn on the air con and then when i get into the drive way just let the car sit for a minute with the fans running........... to get rid of some of the excess heat before turning the car off. This avoids some of the heatsoak effect.

--------

My cars tuned, so I make sure I cool it down cause it's pretty hot sometimes if i've been driving it fairly hard.