Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

best combination with stock exhaust?

kngsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
just wondering what would be the best option to go with my stock exhaust on my vz sv6 manual.
im only a student so i just want to play with my stock system till my funds are abit healthier to purchase an aftermarket one.
what would produce a better note. and if possible a performance gain. i was thinking cut out centre muffler and replace with straight pipe. or would cutting out the rear muffler be better?
and whats the difference between a muffler and a resonator.
cheers in advance.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
id say cut out the front mufflers and replace the rear muffler with a smaller one

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
have you priced up new lukey mufflers fitted and compared to a lukey catback for example?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I got a lukey muffler fitted for $80 but the whole cat back is only around $160 and bolt it in your self. Thats including muffler but no resi.

If thats too much cut out the front muffler and get a 2 1/2" from the diff back. Cost me $20 to get my front muffler cut out and replaced with straight pipe and another $20 to get 2 1/2" from the diff back, this was only about 3 years ago on a TRX.

Looked this up on wiki for you:

Resonator

The exhaust pipes in automobile exhaust systems are designed as acoustic resonators that work with the muffler to reduce noise, by making sound waves "cancel each other out"[1]. The "exhaust note" is an important feature for many vehicle owners, so both the original manufacturers and the after-market suppliers use the resonator to enhance the sound. In 'tuned exhaust' systems designed for performance, the resonance of the exhaust pipes is also used to 'pull' the combustion products out of the combustion chamber quicker.

Muffler

Mufflers are typically installed along the exhaust pipe as part of the exhaust system of an internal combustion engine (of a vehicle, or stationary) to reduce its exhaust noise. The muffler accomplishes this with a resonating chamber, which is specifically tuned to cause destructive interference, where opposite sound waves cancel each other out.

--

Basicly a resonator is a more compact version of a muffler, more or less a straight through muffler.

1 muffler and a hot dog right before the tip give a nice sound on most cars.

kngsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
cheers guyss. i havnt checked out purhchasing new mufflers yet. might have a look into that. so lukey do good cheap mufflers?

yeahh i saw the wikipedia definitions too.

how bout hotdogs? any good?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
If you are on a budget I wouldn't bother with a Lukey muffler, probaly just get the front one taken out and welded up with straight pipe.

Hot dogs get rid of the harshness, little crackles and tinny sounds.

kngsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
lol i like crackles. so yous think cut out front mufflers and leave the rear ones.?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Yeah thats probably your cheapest option, go ask a round a few places, if its $50 or over go somewhere else. Should be able to get it done for $20-30