Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

coolant change on vz, any how to's and tips and advice

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
im about to change the coolant, the heater tap valve has some red coolant and a little corrosion so ill replace that at same time.
its got 135k on it so should i change anything else at the same time, when do the water pumps, radiators, thermostat, water temp sensors etc fail on vz's.
also where do i bleed the system afterwards, and any other things i should look out for, anyone got links to a good how to? cheers

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Acclaim
Looking at the front of the car on the left hand side of the radiator there is a plastic screw, that is one of ( the easiest ) bleed point, be careful doing it back up, if you strip the inside of that thread you will need a new radiator.
My VZ has 230 on the clock, water pump, radiator, water temp sensor still going fine, no problems. Thermostat is a PRICK to replace ! the whole plenum has to come off and its right above the gearbox below the 2 heads at the back of the engine.
Thats about as far as my knowledge goes.

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok cool yeh i thought it was that screw. well looks like im not gonna change anything else then, def not the thermostat lol sounds like a bastard, although i did have the plenum off today changing the coils.
so suppose i just take off the radiator hoses and squirt the hose up there until it runs clear, then put em back on refill with coolant and bleed ey. thanx for the reply brah

luke02

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Just wanting to know who uses the coolant from a holden dealer and if not what kind of coolant they use.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Just wanting to know who uses the coolant from a holden dealer and if not what kind of coolant they use.

Try the Nulon Longlife Red Coolant for your VY. It's probably better quality I know the green stuff is better than the green Holden coolant for a VY.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
The water pump on my vz **** itself just under 100 Kay and was told its a commen issue with them so ya really can't put a limit on them.

luke02

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Try the Nulon Longlife Red Coolant for your VY. It's probably better quality I know the green stuff is better than the green Holden coolant for a VY.

Thanks for your reply i had to go to holden anyway so i asked about the coolant and ended up getting it since it was $20 for a litre. It was for a vz. he gave me the brand acdelco
Dex cool extended life (red)antifreeze coolant.

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
water pump just changed at 190k its been leaking prob since 170k. coolant cap replaced too (leaking) series 2 double rubber seal type.