Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interior lighting (map lights)

eXphoid

I have no license yet xD.
Reaction score
Website
www.exphoid.com
Members Ride
VZ executive & VS Equipe S2 Ecotec
I'm trying to change my interior light for the map lights but my first attempt failed with ba9s bulbs (or could have been the faulty ebay cheapness).

Do they have to be 12v 10w or can they be less? I'm after to do an LED conversion so I can get the white (and not so bright) look =]

Any suggestions? There's one ebay seller selling a kit for $44 for all the interior lights but it's A LOT for 2 bulbs.. zz

Thanks in advanced

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Are you saying the ones you have tried already were leds?

12Volt-yes 10Watt-no. LED's draw much less current.

I take it the Ebay kit is a board array of LED's with an adaptor?

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Geeze that seems a little excessive for LED's I got some from Jaycar for about $5 a bulb only yesterday. Can even try Repco I am sure they can do them just as cheap, if not cheaper.

eXphoid

Reaction score
Website
www.exphoid.com
Members Ride
Repco didn't even have the halogen version.. it's hard to find that fitting without getting a conversion around general auto shops..

the lights i got are actually SMD's but yeah didn't light up..

unregistered

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 S2
i think the polarity is different in the map lights, so LEDs don't like it. but you can unscrew the terminals and swap it around

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
As already said by "unregistered" in the post above, yes the polarity needs to be changed on the map light wiring. The wires on the back of the map reading/sunglass holder unit need to be swapped around. Read the thread below with reference to this. If you need pics of the wiring change then I can provide also because I have done this mod to mine.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...170683-vz-calais-sunglasses-holder-thing.html

Below is where I get most of my led/smd bulbs from. They are more expensive than ebay items. But the colour temperature is better and whiter and quality very good also. You don't get the blue tinge like ebay bulbs. You pay a bit for postage also but I think its worth it.

Exact map reading lights that I have below;
BA9s Base Bulb with 9 High Power SMD LEDs Specifications

Pics below of my interior with white led/smd bulbs completely throughout the whole interior of my VZ Calais;

dlt5co.jpg

f9s36.jpg

2s79qg1.jpg

eXphoid

Reaction score
Website
www.exphoid.com
Members Ride
is this difficult to do; swapping around the wires and stuff or ???
If you could get a diagram made up that would be awesome; otherwise i'll play around with it and take the risk :hmmm:

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Working on one side, undo both little screws and simply swap the eyelets. Do this on each side.

So that means that the green wired eyelet/spade connector will now be on the outer most screw, and the brown and tan wired eyelet spade connector will be on the inner most connectors.

The reason for the wiring mod is to extend the green wire(s) as they now may be too short as they have been moved to the outer screws.

I also extended the green wire going to the white connector as I didn't want it stretched either.

I think my mate got away with no wiring extentions at all, but the wires were too stressed for my liking.

Hopefully I explained it well. Compare to your stock wiring and you will see what I have done.

I used red wiring (colour doesn't matter) to extend the necessary green wires. I soldered the new wire on and used heat shrink to insulate. Insulation tape would be effective also.

Any questions just ask :)

ei2ihe.jpg

fllwkn.jpg

2hcme5h.jpg

2w4xz4w.jpg

Regards
Matt

As0k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SS 04'
Legend Thanks Matt. Worked a treat! Exactly as your described.