Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

doreHolden VZ replacement motor

Richard Hitchings

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi all. Ihave to replace the engine in my VZ Commodore. I've been given different advice concering the 10 HBA numbers. Must the whole number match or is it only the first 4 digits after the 10 HBA? Any help would be appreciated.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Might be worth ringing Holden about that one. Not many blokes here have had engine swaps, and even less would have had your problem.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
i dunno how much help i am mate but i am in the process of replacing the engine in my vz ute, its the 3.6 alloytech. all ive managed to find out is that if your replacing your engine you have to get the exact matching one as for some stupid reason they arent interchangable, for mine i spent ages tracking down a 10hbb, most i could was a 10hba or 10hbl, also if you look under the bonnet at the front passenger side of the engine bay there is a silve tag with diffeent serial numbers embedded in it, the bottom code is your engine type and you need to match that aswell, i think mine said leo on it

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
I was recently looking into changing my engine also, i was told from holden that the numbers have to match up otherwise it will have problems with the computer. Apparently they had to sort through 19 different engine codes. All i know for sure is i wouldnt be going out and buying the first alloytec i find. Talk to Holden

red_le_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s pac supercharged v6 custom
hey i wish i came across this info in before doing an engine swap, i knew i had to find a 175 motor stamped leo on vin plate right hand side under bonnet. But didn't realize that also had to check the letters on the back of the block (example hbh) i have just tried to install in hba into a vz that had a hbh, used all cars original wiring and computers etc and guess what it wont start. scan tool comes up with code p0513, cluster will say service vehicle soon if you don't have a scan tool.
i think im up *# creek now and will just part out the car as not keen to do swap on driveway again. hope this helps someone in the future.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
This is going to sound odd, and I have a Tech2 and am OK with it, but as long as the engine is a 175kw or 172kw or 190kw the same as you remove, and you have the same number of cam sensors, how does the ECU know what actual engine is being swapped?? Got me stumped...

red_le_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s pac supercharged v6 custom
hey was doing our heads in too! thanks for your help. after mucking around with scan tool again we figured out that we must have done a double swap with the ecm. i swapped then my mate swapped wrong one back! so obviously wasnt talking to the rest of the system. runs perfect now. to anyone who does one of these swaps you can swap a hbh with a hba just make sure to use all of the cars original wiring and computers and dont accidentally mix them up like we did! make sure to make up some mounting brackets for easy removal with a chain. if knew how to load pics would show you what i made up only took 20 mins. do not use a seat belt as is too hard to get the balance right of these motors for removal and re install. best to drop the rack if removing with box as we did. all done without a hoist. didnt story if have a hoist.

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
I swapped an engine over about 12 months ago and havent had any problems. I kept the same ecu and engine together. I didnt bother to check if the numbers were the same though. I used the engine, gearbox, engine loom and ecu all from the doner vehicle and all works perfectly.

kpnewey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
I swapped an engine over about 12 months ago and havent had any problems. I kept the same ecu and engine together. I didnt bother to check if the numbers were the same though. I used the engine, gearbox, engine loom and ecu all from the doner vehicle and all works perfectly.

This is an old thread I know - but I am keen to hear more about using an HBA alloytec in place of the original HBH. This site is the only place I can find that even mentions the possibility.

Some people say they have done this by using ECU and loom from HBA donor - and I have heard from a wrecker that this is possible (even HBB), but I have also heard/read that it is not possible, don't even try. If finding a decent (incl price) HBH wasn't so difficult I wouldn't bother, but nearly all advertised engines seem to be HBA and if they fit without any major issues then I will certainly consider one.

My concern is that I have read that the ECU and PIM communicate security codes with each other so swapping out the ECU (without the PIM - which is also security linked to the BCM) would be a problem. Or does this process rely on ECM and/or PIM being reset/relinked?

If anyone has a definitive answer to this issue I would appreciate hearing it. Also keen to hear if anyone knows what the differences between the HBH and HBA are.

Cheers Ken.