Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what fuel to use in a VZ calais 5.7 V8

cru

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais
hi guys,

just brought a 2005 VZ Calais with a 5.7 Litre V8 engine

just wondering what fuel should be using in it, should i be using 98 octane or will 91 be ok for it?

thanks

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I run my ss on 95 or 98. Havnt tried 91, it's probably fine in all fairness

wadevzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
If it hasnt been tuned and is running the stock tune, either is fine. You will gain a bit extra in performance and fuel economy running 98. It should make little difference costwise as you should get better kilometres per tank out of the 98.

fyfee

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY II Calais
I use 98. The PCM has a low-octane and a high-octane spark table. When it detects knocking it reverts to the low-octane spark table and therefore retards timing. Using 98 allows the PCM to utilise the high-octane table, advance the timing, become more powerful and use less fuel because it is more efficient.

You've purchased a (I'm assuming) $20,000 V8, don't compromise performance by cheaping out on the fuel

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
If it hasn't been tuned to run the higher rated fuel then personally I don't see the point in using it.

fyfee

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY II Calais
It doesn't need to be tuned to run high-octane.

It's default is high-octane and if it detects knocking it reverts to low-octane ignition timing

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I use 98. The PCM has a low-octane and a high-octane spark table. When it detects knocking it reverts to the low-octane spark table and therefore retards timing. Using 98 allows the PCM to utilise the high-octane table, advance the timing, become more powerful and use less fuel because it is more efficient.

You've purchased a (I'm assuming) $20,000 V8, don't compromise performance by cheaping out on the fuel

This is exactly right. And you dont need a "tune" for the ECU to be able to take advantage of higher octane fuels. It will do this just running on the standard tune. Theres a lot of people around who dont understand that the ECU can regulate or change the ignition timing, by using infomation sent from the knock sensors, to suit the octane rating of the fuel being used, just like fyfee explained above. I only use 98 octane fuels in my VSV6, and I get excellent fuel economy from it. Ive been getting around 300 km on the highway, for around $20 worth of shell V power 98 octane fuel. The 98 octane fuels work out cheaper, even though I pay more for it than I would for the 91 stuff.

Last edited:

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
I find Shell V-Power to be the best fuel in my 5.7. Have also tried BP Ultimate, Caltex Vortex & Mobil 8000 but the car runs smoother with V-Power. More fuel efficient too.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
This is exactly right. And you dont need a "tune" for the ECU to be able to take advantage of higher octane fuels. It will do this just running on the standard tune. Theres a lot of people around who dont understand that the ECU can regulate or change the ignition timing, by using infomation sent from the knock sensors, to suit the octane rating of the fuel being used, just like fyfee explained above. I only use 98 octane fuels in my VSV6, and I get excellent fuel economy from it. Ive been getting around 300 km on the highway, for around $20 worth of shell V power 98 octane fuel. The 98 octane fuels work out cheaper, even though I pay more for it than I would for the 91 stuff.

Its not quite accurate. If it isnt tuned for 98 it wont get the full benefit of it regardless of dual fuel tables. The ECU has no way of reading fuel octane and it only advances timing to a certain predetermined point which isnt high enough to utilise the octane of 98 RON fuel.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
98 is less than 5cents more than 95, compared to something like an extra 15 cents to go to 95. When I went from 91 to 95 I could see and feel the difference, going to 98 didn't do much, but it guarantees that under any heat and load conditions it won't revert to low octane advance.