Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Missfire - intemediate

elshonno

Reaction score
I get a missfire (shakes the entire car) but what is weird is it comes and goes at odd times. It started last week at idle then when I thorttled up to 60kmh it stopped or atleast I couldnt feel it, then after that it didnt come back for another week.

This week same thing happened at idle sitting at the lights, reved up and it didnt come back for the entire drive.

Now it is happening every second day, something is slowy failing.

With my vs this happened i just replcaed the sparks and leads but these new vz's coil packs, sparks taking off the manifold to get to them seams like a mission.

If its a coilpack is there an easy way to tell which one it is? Im guessing i just pull the plug on each while the missfire is present at idle.

Is there anything else that could possibly be the cause other than coilpacks and plugs?

Last edited:

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
As you said its a good idea to isolate which cylinder it is, when it starts missing pull the leads to the coils 1 by 1, when you find one with no appreciable difference, that's your culprit.

Then depending if money is worth more than time, change your spark plug on the suspect cylinder. Still happening, change your coil. The only thing I can think of that could cause a miss after that would be an injector. Very frustrating to take the fuel rail off the injectors as the o-rings don't want to move, I know cause I did all my coils and injectors on Friday.

I've read in some threads that you can test coils with a multimeter, that will need some research.

elshonno

Reaction score
Replaced all the sparks and coils, still misfiring.

Next is the injector cleaning but Im not very confident.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
I bought injectors for $220 on eBay. Might be easier to do that. Also guarantees that the injectors arnt the issue. After that its worth taking it to a shop, at least they won't stuff around with the parts you already changed.

elshonno

Reaction score
I noticed a tear in the rubber connector (underneath, it was hiding from me) on the throttlebody - shown in this picture, could this be causing it?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    382.9 KB · Views: 1,461

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
I noticed a tear in the rubber connector (underneath, it was hiding from me) on the throttlebody - shown in this picture, could this be causing it?

That's your purge hose, not as cheap as they look. Lol about $75 from Holden for just the hose.

Try and seal up the leak on the hose by using some duct tape or electric tape to see if the issue goes.

If it does then u can replace the hose or just keep the blk duct tape on. :)

This hose shouldn't have an adverse affect like the ones mentioned in the first post but see how you go.

Where the coils you bought brand new or used?
Should cost you $550+ for a brand new set.
Also,
What plugs are you using in there.
U should have the NGK PLATINUM LTR6AP-11 of the top of my head.

Dave.

elshonno

Reaction score
Where the coils you bought brand new or used?
Should cost you $550+ for a brand new set.
Also,
What plugs are you using in there.
U should have the NGK PLATINUM LTR6AP-11 of the top of my head.

Dave.

Hey Dave,

I have the same plugs you mentioned, I also picked up the coils for $60 from repco they are the fuelwiser brands.

I put some tape over it but your right it didnt have much affect.

This misfire is starting to give me the shi!ts, today it wasnt happening for the first 20 minutes then im sitting at the lights and bang it comes back again, I bet next time I start the car it's gone.

Im just trying to avoid spending any more $$$ - theres not alot of that around atm.

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
Not really sure about those coils???
Where abouts are u located?
I have a set of coils you may be able to try out if u like. :)

Also not sure if this may have an adverse affect but make sure you have plugged in the vacuum hose on the back of the manifold with the one way valve. (drivers side).
They can sometimes fall off.

And make sure that the plug on the back of the manifold is on properly.

Keep us updated.

Dave.

elshonno

Reaction score
Not really sure about those coils???
Where abouts are u located?
I have a set of coils you may be able to try out if u like. :)

Also not sure if this may have an adverse affect but make sure you have plugged in the vacuum hose on the back of the manifold with the one way valve. (drivers side).
They can sometimes fall off.

And make sure that the plug on the back of the manifold is on properly.

Keep us updated.

Dave.

just got hold of a scan tool,

got error codes p0206
and p0306

all pointing to the injector on cly 6.

It did mention something about coil pack circuit 'f' or something but i didnt write the complete message down.

Booked into the mechanics up the road tomorrow for testing the cables, I will swap over the injector tonight to see if it misfires the cyl i put it into

elshonno

Reaction score
Put in some repco fuel injector cleaner in the tank, went for a good 30 minute drive and the misfire stopped while driving.

Howz that $11 bottle solved my problem - fingers crossed.

The misfire was intermittent before so it might come back, if it does I am sure its the fuel injector now so Ill order a set form ebay and replace them.