Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS 6L damn error codes: P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Hey all,

Today at lunch time I ducked out the shops only to get in the car and find it hard to start. It cranked over for at least 4 seconds and then started sluggishly. I stopped it and restarted, only for it to do the same thing.

Driving it it sounded like it something was wrong - it was not responsive and almost sounded like one of the injectors was blocked. Also the tacho stayed on 0 the whole time, but the speedo worked.

I got a tool off ebay a while ago called 'MaxScan' OBDII/EOBD Scanner. Has been great at looking up error codes and being able to clear em.

This is what came up: 'P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit'. I cleared it when I got back to work but the prob persisted, so I gather there is something wrong with a sensor on the crankshaft.

Any one got any ideas on what I should do? I am pretty good with auto elecs but this one has me stumped.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Crank sensor on L76 v8?

EDIT: got this off the OBD codes site re code P0335:

Using a scan tool, check if, when engine is running or cranking, that there is an RPM signal.
If there is no RPM reading, then visually inspect the crank sensor and connector for any damage and repair as necessary.

So my qstn now is where is the crank sensor? I hope the fix is as easy as this.

Then it goes on to say:

If there is no visible damage, and you have access to a scope, you could check the CKP 5 Volt square wave pattern. If you do not, then, obtain a resistance reading of your crank sensor from a repair manual. (There are so many different types of crank sensors that there's no way to put here which resistance reading is correct). Then check the resistance of the CKP sensor by disconnecting the sensor and measuring resistance of the sensor. (It is best to check resistance readings from the PCM connector. This rules out any wiring problems from the start. But it does require some mechanical skill and shouldn't be performed if you\'re not familiar with automobile electrical systems). Is the sensor within resistance specs?

Anyone done this before?

If you are interested in the site I got this from it's here: OBD-II Trouble Codes - DTC Codes Car Repair

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Ok after abt half an hour of research I have found the answer to my question (thanks US goat site). So the error code is HOPEFULLY being chucked up by some cooked wiring at the crank sensor (behind the starter). When I get home today my beast is goin on jackstands and I will suss it out. If it is this, I'll take pics and chuck it in the how-to scn.

Stay trippin boys ;)

v.r.holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore executive S2
trust your codes

Just had crank angle sensor replaced in my car. Be leave your suspicion , change the sensor.
Pete. ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 2,497

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
^^^^ Agreed, changed the sensor

Any idea of how much they cost? Had a busy wk end so have not had a chance to check out the connector and wiring - hopefully I can fix the problem that way. Also have another error code - this time P0116, engine coolant temperature sensor. Either I need a few new sensors or my loom is looking a bit tatty

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Sorry mate, I don't know, a ring to Holden is all I can suggest. Did you unplug the coolant temp before hand to induce this code?

Unplugged nothin. Looks like I have a few things to do this wk end - hope it doesn't rain!!

Holdenon76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Crewman
Did you work out where the sensor is? I have exactly the same issue and if possible I want to fix it myself.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
Check the wiring - changing the sensor if you have extractors is personally one of the fiddliest, most annoying car related jobs I've ever done (very hard to get hands in to undo the bolt with aftermarket headers, and starter motor won't come out. So you either contort your hands and tools or remove driver's side headers). It was the wiring in the end which had cooked on the rearmost primary pipe. Got towed to an auto elec, wiring was fixed and re routed in about 2 hours.

IMO if the wiring is cooked it's not worth trying to do yourself.

Sensor is above the back of the sump on the driver's side.

To clarify - you have to undo the starter motor and slide it forward to access the sensor.

Last edited: