Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ v6 Engine Coolant Flush

randombrick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
G'Day All,

After reading through the forum posts on the coolant flush procedure, I think DIY out of my league - especially removing the knock sensor,etc (not much of a handy guy).

Anyway, any recommendations on a good shop in the inner suburbs (preferably in/around St. Kilda or Prahran) to get this done? And how much should I expect to pay for a coolant flush and refill job?

Thanks!

Last edited:

pau13z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6L
The easiest way to do it is to flush it out with water several times. Drain the coolant using the tap at the bottom, then remove the lower radiator hose. Reconnect the radiator hose and close the drain tap. Fill the radiator back up and run the car until the thermo fans kick in. When they switch off ignition the car off and wait a few hrs. When It's cool/cooler, repeat this process. Eventually you'll end up with pretty much just water in there. Both the engine and radiator hold around 5L, so on your last go fill the radiator with coolant concentrate and when the thermostat opens all the way it will do the mixing for you :)

Removing the thermostat/knock sensors can be done but it's really annoying, which is why I didn't do it lol.

One thing to make sure of though, make sure you bleed the air from the cooling system properly, the last time at least. Bleeding it through the screw at the top of the radiator will get a bit of air, but there's actually quite a bit more in there. I found the best way to do it is use a Lisle funnel and make your own cap that fits (the fitments that come with the Lisle won't fit). Get a radiator cap, cut a circle hole in the top and get some plumbers pipe to extend the existing attachment and bleed it that way, lots more air comes out :)

Mono987

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sll Caprice/ 2009 SR5 Turbo
G'Day All,

After reading through the forum posts on the coolant flush procedure, I think DIY out of my league - especially removing the knock sensor,etc (not much of a handy guy).

Anyway, any recommendations on a good shop in the inner suburbs (preferably in/around St. Kilda or Prahran) to get this done? And how much should I expect to pay for a coolant flush and refill job?

Thanks!

Or just pay pau13z's fuel to Melbourne and back + a case of Corona............

randombrick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Thanks mate but I want to get a professional do it this time.

I bought my car used and to be honest, didn't look after it well enough :(. When I finally got around to checking stuff last week, noticed that the coolant was almost below the Min level. So want to get a full engine flush.

Pansino Radiators, Brunswick (W) have given me a quote of $144 for the job (incl reverse flush the engine block and the genuine Holden Red coolant). Does that sound reasonable?

The easiest way to do it is to flush it out with water several times. Drain the coolant using the tap at the bottom, then remove the lower radiator hose. Reconnect the radiator hose and close the drain tap. Fill the radiator back up and run the car until the thermo fans kick in. When they switch off ignition the car off and wait a few hrs. When It's cool/cooler, repeat this process. Eventually you'll end up with pretty much just water in there. Both the engine and radiator hold around 5L, so on your last go fill the radiator with coolant concentrate and when the thermostat opens all the way it will do the mixing for you :)

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Bleeding the alloytec from the filler cap does not work, the top hose of the radiator is half way down the radiator, which if you try to bleed air out of the filler cap, leaves half the radiator with air. My experience says so anyways.

pau13z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6L
Bleeding the alloytec from the filler cap does not work, the top hose of the radiator is half way down the radiator, which if you try to bleed air out of the filler cap, leaves half the radiator with air. My experience says so anyways.

You need to combine the 2 for best results. Bleed it from the radiator cap and the radiator.

pau13z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6L
Pansino Radiators, Brunswick (W) have given me a quote of $144 for the job (incl reverse flush the engine block and the genuine Holden Red coolant). Does that sound reasonable?

Doesn't sound too bad, considering the coolant would be around $40-$50, essentially charging $100 for the job, that's not bad for the time they'll spend on it. Most mechanics charge $80-$120/hr :)

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Also, if you are replacing the coolant yourself, ensure that the new coolant used conforms to/meets GM Specification 6277M. It should state this (or words to this effect) on the coolant container label.

randombrick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
An update: I got the reverse flush done and I've sprung a leak. Looks like the water pump is on its way out. Reading up on the net tells me that flushing tends to remove sediment/scales that were otherwise plugging leaks. I will now have to get the pump replaced. Darned luck. :(