Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition Swith turns but intermitently won't start engine

Mark E1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Since having the ignition barrel replaced (was jamming) some six months ago an intermitent starting problem has developed. When I turn the ignition key nothing happens as if the battery was dead flat. I take key out lock/unlock, close/open doors etc but still won't start. On the three occasions this has happened, and whilst waiting for the NRMA the engine has started on a subsequent attempt after about 10 minutes.

My initial thoughts are that there may be a loose connection as a result of the ignition barrel replacement - however the starting after a 10min delay is puzzling. On the three occassions this has happened then engine has been hot.

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
i had similar problems recently and it was the key reader which activates the immobiliser when it should be deactivating.Replace the key reader and check that wiring is still plugged in to it.

Mark E1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Where is the "Key Reader" located?

Thanks for the reply.

I was going to start with checking the electrical connections. Where is the "Key Reader" located and what does it look like?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Have similar issues myself, however with mine, it comes up with very low fuel, service vehicle soon, contact dealer, fuel gauge error. Leave it for a bit then it starts. Any thoughts? Will not start after disconnecting battery, nor with the spare keys.

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
Thanks for the reply.

I was going to start with checking the electrical connections. Where is the "Key Reader" located and what does it look like?
the key reader is located on the end of ignition barrel where you insert the key, it is the metal ring contained in a plastic case that puses on to the end of the barrel, when you insert key into ignition the metal ball on the key depresses the reader in, there are 2 wires at the back of the reader, your new ignition needs to be coded to your old keys, try pressing unlock twice, it worked for me untill i fixed it, good luck.

karwalski

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Excutive
Same thing happens on my car.

When hot will not start until it cools down..

I have posted in another thread some of my other symptoms, but they include
- Fuel Gauge Error
- SVS warning
- Fuel Gauge showing no fuel when full
- Relays are becoming very hot when car is running, and while this will not start mystery is happening

Im looking for a short circuit or bad earth at the moment, a few people suggested it could be an ecu with issues, but I dont understand how that would cause multiple relays to become hot.

Check your start, ignition, fan, ecu, blower relays (some under dash, some in engine bay), are they to hot to touch?

moore376

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
i had the same problem with myne karwaliski.. turned out to be a faulty ecu... but i had the same symptons as you

vrod8884

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs ss v8
HI MATE ;i have same problem did u diagnose and fix ,cheers

Mark E1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
The problem ended up being a faulty ECU (Engine Control Unit). It would intermittently fail to provide an earth to the starter circuit. The NRMA guy was onto it having seen it before and bridged the starter earth circuit and it would start fine with the key. The ECU had to be replaced. An option might have been to leave the earth bridge in place however I was not sure if this might have led to other problems.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Hey OP, best way to tell its the imobiliser is to watch the red flashing security light when you turn the key if it does not go out its the culprit.