Hi fellow Holdeners.. I hail from Saudi Arabia.. I own a '04 Chevy Lumina LS(Commodre VZ) and came across this forum searching for repair manuals... I must say there are a lot of passionate people in here...!!
I am passionate myself but lack the techincal know-how, although I try my best to learn.. Cars are a huge passion in the middle east especially Saudi Arabia cz of the low cost of fuel.. But the language barrier (Im an Indian) restricts the communication and I am not able to find proper garages/tuners/modders..
Anyways, I had few problems with my recently acquired Lumina.. Although I have shown it to a couple of mechanics off the street, I'm yet to show it to the GM service centre..
Some problems include:
- When I turn my steering fully to the right, it stops exactly after 1.5 turns.. On left it stops a little more after 1.5, say 1.75.. Around the 1-1.25 turn mark, the steering wobbles (so does the left wheel I feel) n vibrates badly. I noticed this while reverse parking when I had to turn the wheel on one side completely.. Can anyone pinpoint the issue?
- I have the 'Fuel Guage Error' warning when I have around 20-25L left in the tank.. It comes, beeps a few times n goes.. the beeping frequency increases as I drive further kms, and then after I fill up it's fine.. The earlier owner had the pump replaced.. He didnt 'recaliberate' or "reset' the ECU.. Those were his words.. Do I need to do this to get it corrected?
I have read that this is a common problem, without any solution.. Any workarounds other than keeping the tank full?
- The car slightly vibrates around the 60-80kmph mark.. Its smoooth on all other speeds.. Just around tht.. Infact whenever it vibrates I check the odo n its exactly 60.. it goes off after 80.. Any clues how n why this happens?
- The trouble codes for my car shows
the last bit is '1'.. Any ideas what this indicates..
- Lastly, I have the SRS light on.. I also get the SRS airbag malfuntion warning..The previous owner had a slight accident where someone broke a signal n hit him at low speed on the left bumper (we drive LHDs here)..the bumper and left light came off but the airbag didnt..
Had this damaged the airbag sensor?
A lot of questions I know.. N I would be grateful to get any insight into them..
Thanks a lot in advance..
Hello from Australia
Problems 1, 3 and 5 could all be related to the low speed collision the previous owner of your Chevy had.
A wheel alignment done by a shop that knows what they're doing might correct the difference in the number of turns of the steering wheel.
They would also be able to tell if your steering arms are bent or damaged.
They could also do a wheel balance that may cure the vibrations, but there is also the possibility your front wheel or tyre might be damaged from the accident.
The trouble codes are the ones showing in your car's instrument display?.... I don't think they mean anything. You'll need a mechanic with a proper diagnostic tool (tech II) to find out why the SRS light is on.
I will be showing the car to GM / reputed service station in a few weeks.. Will see what they say, but need to be aware myself.. Thanks for ur pointers..
AFAIK, the wheel was untouched by the accident.. Even the radiator was intact.. I had done a computer check on the vehicle before buying it, n the service guy told me that its been hit but only cosmetic damages had taken place.. He also told me the SRS is bcz of the sensor not communicating with the ECU.. I didnt get it..
Whr is this sensor placed??
The trouble codes are in the instrument display, when we press Mode/Set and turn the vehicle on..