Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vacuum gauges

DFECTED

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 SVZ UTE
How do vacuum gauges exactly work and what is there exact purpose?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
A vacuum gauge measures how much vacuum the piston creates on the induction stroke.
A vacuum gauge has two primary functions, 1; Measures the engines efficiency of the motors induction side of the pumping action of the motor (or should we say sucking action) for example, if your valves are not seating the reading on the vacuum gauge will be lower than normal, 2; It ia used as an economy gauge as in the VC commodore where again, when a motor is most fuel efficient is when vacuum is high so you would aim to drive your car with light throttle action to keep the vacuum high which helps the carby etc vaporise the fuel better.

As with both it is a very valuable tuning tool.

Hope that helps.

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
ive got one intsallde with my vz, i originally got it just cause its a good looking gauge but it is like vr38 said very useful, especially if you think theres a leak or your losing suction somewhere

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
I was looking at these but a mate of mine thought they were only for turbo cars and on a na car it would just be running in negative, but I think he may have been thinking of a boost gauge,

in a commodore vz v6 does anyone know where to tap the vacuum hose into?

Thanks

EDIT: also is anyone able to put up a video of one in a na vz v6? Just to see one really work. Ta

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
I was looking at these but a mate of mine thought they were only for turbo cars and on a na car it would just be running in negative, but I think he may have been thinking of a boost gauge,

Thanks

EDIT: also is anyone able to put up a video of one in a na vz v6? Just to see one really work. Ta

Tap into vacuum line behind manifold:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-holden-commodore-2002-2004/96517-where-vacuum-tube-vz-alloytec-motor.html

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo

Vacuum gauges only read negative pressure IE vacuum. Typically they start at 0 and go to -40. To hook one up you just have to tee off an existing vacuum hose - it's very simple.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok I'll look into getting one like I originally planned next week to tie in with my volts and oil pressure gauge I'm going to be putting in

Thanks all

DFECTED

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 SVZ UTE
Im not sure how to upload videos through my phone to here but basically mine sits at around 20 and the more i accelerate then it drops to zero. Once you stop accelerating it sits back on around 20.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
ahk so it basically just measures the air getting into the engine correct? like the induction or in the block? sorry VR38 i couldnt quite tell from your post

and when your just cruising along or idling its only sucking it a certain amount (or pressure) then when you accelerate that number increases (or decreases? cos its in negative?) to say its sucking more air?

am i right?

also are they useful in a efi na vz v6? i know theyd be handy in a carby just not sure on efi and whether they would be a pointless gauge on my vz

thanks

also @ DFECTED are you able to upload to youtube then just post the link here?

Last edited: