Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Exedy HD Clutch and SMF Review

blackwarlock

braap
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
Just a bit of run down on a product i recently brought and installed.
It's part number GMK-7744SMFHD
Kit comes with, clutch, pressure plate (in lovely pink flavour), SMF, Slave cylinder and spacers for the slave.
You get some instructions for fitting but essentially their useless.

I can give you pointers on install if you want, just ask. It's a very doable DIY job.

Had the kit on for a couple of weeks so all of this is pretty early.
But suffice to say i'm happy with it. Clutch pedal feel is a little firmer but not by much. Bit point is lower making the shift point faster. It doesn't take much to get used to but you will notice it initially.
The clutch bite is much harsher, mostly due to the SMF. I've heard it makes the car a little harder to drive and i suppose technically that's true but i've not found it more difficult. I daily my car on the lovely monash peak hour and haven't had a sore leg nor a frustrating stall yet.
If you're really on it you'll chirp from first to second and third. Needless to say it makes the car much more lively. I'd liken it to doing diff gears, minus the increased fuel milage. If you do it yourself it'll also work out a cheaper mod.

Negative things, it's a little noisier. Under load at low revs it's not a happy chappy. It'll do it but just groans a little. Also just general driving at really low revs it doesn't like. Although most people will say that's not good for your engine anyway so it shouldn't be an issue.

If you're just a cruiser, stick with the stock setup. I know exedy do a DMF solution too so you don't necessary have to pay Holden's crazy prices for parts.
But for the driver looking for a little more lively car and some added fun. This is a must have mod.
On a side note lets not forget it also becomes a great supporting mod when/if you start increasing power and more importantly, torque.

Any questions about the item in question or install procedure pass them my way.

Cheers

Forgot to mention this part applies to all VZ V6 6-speed manuals and VE SV6/Omega Manuals. Double check SIDI (2008?) and above models for the VE as i've heard the kit applies but exedy doesn't specifically specify that.

BPX-31H

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 vz sv6
+1 I did my kit on Friday! Loving it so far!

blackwarlock

braap
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
A week on, things are still going good. A feel the clutch has settled in properly now. Clutch feel has remained consistent.
The only thing i've noticed is that when cold the clutch tends to be a little noisier. But getting up at 5AM in 6 degree temps will do that to just about everything. So it's to be expected.

Glad to see you are happy with it man!!

I sure am mate. And you would have been too, I brought yours haha

Thanks again.

curlyandoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore S Ute
Im installing the kit into mine next weekend we will see how it goes.

spencer983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Holden VX Commodore Executive
Hey fellas, I know I'm a little (a lot) late to the party... but what's involved in replacing the flywheel with a single mass at home in the shed? How difficult is it?

Thanks buddies.