Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring up xeneon fog lights to genuine fog light switch via relay problems

rowe147

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Hi guys ive been trying to wire up xeneon fog lights on my vz executive via a 30amp relay 55W
(because there are no standard fog light looms on executives)

The xeneon bulbs iam using are from autobarn and are 35W (so the relay has plenty of power to support the lights)

I dont know what iam doing wrong .. :S

i have the genuine holden SS fog light switch (like the orginal, only diffrence is centre pops out for ON/OFF for fogs )
iam aware that holden have set the Negative as the trigger Which has confused the hell out of me !!!

(.85) (im unsure if this is correct) is spliced into the start of (.30) was instucted to do so

i have put the trigger from the relay (.86) to the correct hole in the back of the fog light switch ...... (left from the negative wire in the empty spot of the foglight switch socket)

(.87) is connected to the positive wires off the lights

(.30) is connected to the battery via a fuse

The fuse is not blown and is a 30 amp!

bulbs grounded to the chassis of the car

Someone please help as this has been pissing me off for weeks
and i have got all this info for wiring them up from Just commodores

rowe147

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
figured it out the bulbs had to be grounded to the battery and not the chassis of the car,
i hope this can help anyone else wiring up fog lights :)

OldAndyMac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
Do you get much fog in Melb? We would get plenty in the UK but I have not seen much up here in Brisbane - although every 3rd car I pass seems to have their fog lights on. You would get a fine back home for that - is it legal in Australia?

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
sorry too say BUT they are wankers(TOSSERS) who drive with them on.. maybe even a PILLICK depends where in the uk you come from.. i married a pom once

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Why would you replace fog light globes (presumably the original globes) with Xenon. The trick to driving successfully in fog is to minimise the glare of the light bouncing back at you off the fog. The original fog lights and globes were designed to provide optimum performance when used as expected. the fog lights are not 'driving lights' contrary to what a lot of people seem to think. Seems to me that you have probably never been forced to drive in anmy fog, light, medium or 'pea souper' as is often referred to.

rowe147

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
i didnt fit them for fog driving, i have fitted them more for a cosmetic upgrade as i got the vz ss front end, its all just apart of making the car look a little better as executives r proberly the worste looking from the factory the car has come a very long way scince i first got it the whole car mess

OldAndyMac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
Anyone know what the fine is here in QLD? I reckon the boys in blue could make a fortune as literally every car I pass with foglights has them on. Dazzling oncoming traffic has never been cool - puts you in the same gang as xenons in reflector lenses. Grrr!

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
WHY is it ???people think fog lights are clear(white light) TRUE fog lights are a YELLOW light lens... THE others are just TOSSER lights.. and you deserve too get a fine for being a puppet driving with them on.....

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
WHY is it ???people think fog lights are clear(white light) TRUE fog lights are a YELLOW light lens... THE others are just TOSSER lights.. and you deserve too get a fine for being a puppet driving with them on.....

Umm... they come with white lights from factory, and they are called fog lights. You are smarter than Holden.