Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ A/C Compressor

blairus

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
hi all
only just signed up so firstly say howdy
as of recent my 2005 VZ wagon started to make a high pitched noise only when my A/C was turned and when i was accelerating so i took it to my auto electrician and he said the compressor is going on me and that im looking at around $1000 to get it replaced and fixed.
so what im asking is easier and worth going to a wreckers and getting a 2nd hand compressor and replacing it my self ?
and if so how easy is it to replace it?
Thanks for your time
Blair

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
From what you are describing the high pitch screeching noise more so when you are accellerating,sounds exactly like the belt is slipping underload.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
check your belts first. cheap and easy if it needs a new one or adjust tension (10mm deflection when pushed is a guide- not as tight as can be -leads to pulley failures and belt snap), as conrod said if it is increasing underload sounds more like a belt.

Juan

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Commodore
Put some talcum powder on the inside of the belt and if it shuts up then thats it. They screech like hell when they get coolant on them.
If it turns out to be the belt is just loose then you know to avoid that Auto electrician in future .

blairus

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Thanks heaps all ill give it a try and let you know how it works

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Belt deflection is a load of bs, how to tell properly is to put a socket on the alternator pulley and rotate, if it slips then there is not enough tension. Little trick from my auto elec teacher. But being an auto tension system, there is no way to adjust

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Did u end up replacing the air compressor yourself cos I'm just about to tackle the job on my car

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Is the sound a high pitched noise, or more like a 'roaring' type sound? My 2005 wagon makes a higher pitched roaring sound when accelerating with the A/C compressor under a load, which apparently is normal.

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
Sounds like the compressor clutch is failing. Buying a second hand compressor is very risky. I would never use one unless its absolutely necessary. $1000 is pretty fair price to replace a compressor.
Bit more work involved than most people realize. The tech has to vac down the system, remove parts, replace parts (usually including a new Drier and TX valve), Flush the system of contaminants, check for leaks, fill with gas, check for leaks again and make sure everything is operating at correct temperatures.
If you bolt that compressor on yourself you will have no warranty. Also it may be cheaper to buy a compressor off ebay but dont expect it to last longer than a year or two. A/c compressors are one of the things you should always try to fit a genuine one if possible and any reputable tech wont want to fit your ebay compressor cause they cant guarantee their work if they dont trust the parts they are using.

My work specializes in Automotive Airconditioning and Electrics and Im also a qualified Aircon tech