Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Powertrain Problem

andrewxtreme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I have a 2005 VZ SV6 Manual (113,000 km) from Perth and have an issue with the Powertrain warning, that I am hoping someone can share their experience with.

It all started approximately 2 years ago after I returned from a 12 month trip overseas. On my return, I had it serviced and was told the oil was extremely think and sludgy. After that, the car was running normally until a little over 12 months ago when the Check Powertrain light came on. Basically, the car is running on Idle mode and sounds like a super rich/thirsty, but gutless V8...if that makes sense. There is very little power and occasionally there is a rattle (seems to be transmission) at low revs when trying to back out of the driveway.

I took it to K-Mart Auto (Yes! I know) and put their trusty computer on it and came up with the code P?366 (Cam Positioning Sensors). They swiftly replaced these for me for about $400, but still didn't fix the issue. I was told to give it a few more oil changes over the next few months and that should clear any excess oil sludge still in the system. I took his word on it and did 4 oil changes + flushes within 6 months and the fault was still there. He also said that driving it just around town etc wouldn't cause any further damage, but would just be thirsty on fuel and remain with little power.

I didn't have a chance to sort it out before having to head overseas again, but have just got back and keen to have this sorted.

I took it back to K-Mart to have them double check it, since they did the first repair. He said that he had a similar issue just after mine and was just some timing sensor problem (prob $900-1000 to have finally sorted).

Being once bitten, I took it to Holden (hindsight??) and had them do a Diagnostic on it. They have now come back and said "possibly" stretched timing chains, found low oil pressure, may need heads removed and cleaned and oil pickup checked. This is obviously not going to be a cheap fix and probably more labor costs than actual spare parts...so this is where I would love some advice on the matter.

Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms and know what the solution was?

Also, if anyone has fixed this before and can do it again i'd love to hear more. If you need any further information, please don't hesitate to ask....

Thanks in advance

Andrew

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Sludged engines cause all sorts of dramas and stretched timing chains are common.

The cam actuators are operated by oil pressure so when they become sludged up they dont operate correctly.

Generally the cheapest option is to get a recon or 2nd hand engine.

andrewxtreme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks RiCeY...

That was mentioned, but how much work / cost is there in actually cleaning or even reconditioning the existing one?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Huge job as the sludge goes right through the whole engine.

Heads off, timing cover off, sump off etc and even then the bearings may be shot from oil starvation so there may be damage to cams and/or crankshaft. Generally would replace oil pump as well.

Thats worst case scenario but a possibility.

I would get a quote to clean your engine up and replace the chains with a written guarantee that the cost wont exceed the quote then get prices on recond/2nd hand and see which is cheaper.

andrewxtreme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Sounds simple enough...not

What would you think would be a fair price? On both complete engine clean or recon/2nd hand engine?

If you could break it down into rough parts and labor that would be even more awesome...

Thanks again...
Andrew

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No idea mate, I just do the work. The service advisors and spare parts do all the pricing haha.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
And will continuing to drive it around town as I have been possibly cause more issues??

Personally I wouldnt drive around if you have low oil pressure and rattling.

andrewxtreme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
What are your thoughts on Sea Foam or Auto-Rx Plus? I know it won't fix any Timing Chain issues, but worth giving a try to see if it does anything to clean up the sludge or more wasted money?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
That stuff only cleans out the intake manifold and valves if its the same stuff Im thinking of. Wouldnt help much.