Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Missing on Idle - New sparks and coild fitted.

promint86

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
Hi all

I have a VZ Commodore, build date Nov 05

Over the past couple of months the car has become slightly rougher on idle and slightly hesitant under initial acceleration (minor missing)
I could live with this until last week on Idle occasionally the car would miss for a second here and there like dropping a cylinder.
As the vehicle has travelled 130,000k's it was time to bite the bullet and purchase new genuine holden bosch spark plugs and bosch coil packs. I fitted these along with the newer style steel reusable inlet manifold gasket.
After fitting these I am pleased to say the car is quite a bit smoother and more responsive.

I do however still have a problem which is eating me.

The car still has a noticeable intermittent miss on idle but only when in drive and with the aircon on. It appears the more I load the car up (eg air con, high beams) the more frequent the miss is.
I can sit on idle for 10 minutes in park with no air con lights etc and it will purr away.
As soon as I throw into gear it will miss very occasionally but when I activate the aircon it becomes more frequent.
The problem also appears to be more prominent the hotter the temperature gets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Simon

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
When in park the engine is not under any load,But when in drive its under load,have you checked there is no vaccum hose off or one of them has not perished and is split, eg The vaccum hose going to the heater tap or inside to the heater controls.I could be wrong but it sounds like its sucking air some where.

Juan

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Commodore
Try running a tank of Premium fuel through it .

promint86

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
Thanks for the reply people.

I managed to get hold of a friends OBD scanner this afternoon. It is an older model around 5 years or so.

The scanner logged no fault codes but interestingly enough the timing is fluctuating quite a bit especially on idle. Is this normal?

On idle the timing hovers between 4 - 10 degrees generally staying around the 6 degrees. At precisely the exact moment the miss happens the the timing drops to zero (0) degrees on the scanner and occasionally even going into the minus.

Regards Simon

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
Try running a tank of Premium fuel through it .

that just a silly answer it wont do ****,,a little bit high octane/ more detergent too clean your injectors. One tank wont do ****..More like as stated sounds like a vacum leak..

hrsouf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
I have the exact same problem with mine, same as you I have new plugs and coil packs, ill check if I have a vacuum leak to.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Thanks for the reply people.

I managed to get hold of a friends OBD scanner this afternoon. It is an older model around 5 years or so.

The scanner logged no fault codes but interestingly enough the timing is fluctuating quite a bit especially on idle. Is this normal?

On idle the timing hovers between 4 - 10 degrees generally staying around the 6 degrees. At precisely the exact moment the miss happens the the timing drops to zero (0) degrees on the scanner and occasionally even going into the minus.

Regards Simon

This is while it was idling under load (in drive with aircon on on)?

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
just by any chance you dont slow your car by pulling it down through the gears do you?

benny_bones

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY Series 2 Wagon
Check idle control valve? Might be rooted mine was and cause a slight miss under load and bad idling