Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Wheel Buttons all doing the wrong things....wtf????

mattathm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Hey all...
05 VZ wagon.
Steering wheel buttons.

When I press MUTE it: Changes Stations on the Radio
When I press Vol Up it: Mutes
When I press Vol Dn it: Vol Up

LOL

WTF????? anyone know how to fix this????

Straya!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Brock Director
Take it to an auto-elec or find a wiring diagram for the steering wheel controls and make sure everything is connected to the right spots.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Hey all...
05 VZ wagon.
Steering wheel buttons.

When I press MUTE it: Changes Stations on the Radio
When I press Vol Up it: Mutes
When I press Vol Dn it: Vol Up

LOL

WTF????? anyone know how to fix this????

If everything was working OK up to now, it sounds like one or more resistors within the button array may have gone faulty or open circuit, or possibly the clockspring may have developed a fault.

mattathm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
nah.... brought the car like it... just annoying, want to get it sorted.

Danny

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to get WL
Mine does the same on really hot days normally fixes its self

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
1. Remove the radio. Use a multi meter to measure the resistance between terminals C11 & C12 in the X1 connector; when no buttons are depressed the resistance should be approximately 3674 ohms.
2. When each of the following switches are depressed the resistance measured should be approximately as listed below.

Next up button 794 ohms
Mute button 284 ohms
Next down button 464 ohms
Volume up button 164 ohms
Mode button 1474 ohms
Volume down button 82 ohms

3. If a high resistance is detected, disconnect all connections, inspect for damage or corrosion, reconnect and measure the resistance again. If the resistance has changed and the correct function of the radio remote switches is achieved then the problem is
considered to be connection related.
4. If the fault is still present, use the wiring diagrams, check each section of the circuit separately (wiring harness, clock spring, radio remote switches) to allow diagnosis of the faulty component. .

cliftondavid01

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore ute
1. Remove the radio. Use a multi meter to measure the resistance between terminals C11 & C12 in the X1 connector; when no buttons are depressed the resistance should be approximately 3674 ohms.
2. When each of the following switches are depressed the resistance measured should be approximately as listed below.

Next up button 794 ohms
Mute button 284 ohms
Next down button 464 ohms
Volume up button 164 ohms
Mode button 1474 ohms
Volume down button 82 ohms

3. If a high resistance is detected, disconnect all connections, inspect for damage or corrosion, reconnect and measure the resistance again. If the resistance has changed and the correct function of the radio remote switches is achieved then the problem is
considered to be connection related.
4. If the fault is still present, use the wiring diagrams, check each section of the circuit separately (wiring harness, clock spring, radio remote switches) to allow diagnosis of the faulty component. .
These values are converted into action actions y the head unit. Doest the head unit sense the restance value or the voltage of the selected button.
Appreciate the time you invested here.