Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing air intake v6 3.6L

Mulla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
This is my first post on this forum, so go easy on me. So I've only recently purchased my first commodore, I was looking at K&N air-intakes and wondering if it will work on the 3.6L alloytec, I've only seen them on the V8. If anyone could shed some light I would really appreciate it :)

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
A k&n air filter won't get you breaking traction through your gears, but it does help your engine breath a little better by providing better airflow. Also can be sprayed with a gerni when it gets dirty instead of buying a new filter every service.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
The V8 airbox is the same as the V6, so they're interchangable.

If you have an Q's or need some help, just gimme a PM. As long as your not out woop woop i'll give you a hand installing stuff :)

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
A k&n air filter won't get you breaking traction through your gears, but it does help your engine breath a little better by providing better airflow. Also can be sprayed with a gerni when it gets dirty instead of buying a new filter every service.

There is no tested proof that a washable filter allows an engine to breath better. If this were the case how many dirt particles would be forced into your intake. And spraying with a gerni will wreck the filter, use a tap or a hose

The only upside as you stated is that it can be cleaned at service intervals

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
There is no tested proof that a washable filter allows an engine to breath better. If this were the case how many dirt particles would be forced into your intake. And spraying with a gerni will wreck the filter, use a tap or a hose

The only upside as you stated is that it can be cleaned at service intervals

Oh a stock engine, yes. Look at it more as a supporting mod, for larger changes down the track.

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
The V8 airbox is the same as the V6, so they're interchangable.

If you have an Q's or need some help, just gimme a PM. As long as your not out woop woop i'll give you a hand installing stuff :)

Due to the MAF though, the actual intakes are not interchangeable.

OP - do the MCAI mod (2hole mod). I did mine, measured the difference between outside temp and the IAT, at WOT it was 5 degrees Celsius, at idle, max 10 degrees Celsius. That's probably as good as you'll get and need. To be honest, I noticed a very minimal change in acceleration.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Due to the MAF though, the actual intakes are not interchangeable.

OP - do the MCAI mod (2hole mod). I did mine, measured the difference between outside temp and the IAT, at WOT it was 5 degrees Celsius, at idle, max 10 degrees Celsius. That's probably as good as you'll get and need. To be honest, I noticed a very minimal change in acceleration.

I was refering to the filter :)

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
you could always spend a bit more and get a Mace CAI an enclosed pod filter that replaces the original air box . I have one on my SV6 , just helps the V6 breath a bit better , gives more torque through the low to mid range , just a thought .

Mulla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Ute
Thanks for the advice guys, the MAF was my main concern with changing it, ill leave that idea for now and just replace the filter.

gman794

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF Falcon
Considering the 6.0 litre V8 version of this model with the L76 motor makes 270kW with the exact same Ryco A1358 air filter that the 3.6 Alloytec takes I think it is pointless to do this.
If the stock air filter can flow enough air to produce 270kW in a 6.0 V8 than it is will definitely flow enough for a much smaller engine.
I think people are under the illusion it developed more power due to the induction noise it makes.
Cheers
gman794