Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec engine transplant

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
Hi guys

Long story short I crashed my VZ V6 Auto but my running gear only has 40,000ks on it, buying another VZ exact same model in immaculate condition except for blown engine with high km's so going to put my running gear into it and wreck my VZ.

Ive done engine swaps on the Ecotec motors more times than i care to count but never done much work with the Alloytecs. Ill be swapping the engine and gearbox in one go as i think that will be the easiest way. Anybody have any pointers, things to look out for, or issues i might run into.

Cheers for any help :)

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Programming the ECU is one you should look out for

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ill be swapping the ecu and gauge cluster over too as id like my cluster to say the correct amount of km's. Shouldnt have to change/program anything if i swap the motor and ecu together right?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
And bcm, tcm, ignition barrel, possible abs and traction control modules, all electrics need to be swapped out too if you want to avoid reprogramming etc

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
As long as engine numbers match up and dont have to #### around with bcm and all other bullshit that people claim u have to, i know as ive done a alloytec swap

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can understand the if i didnt swap the ECU that will have to be reprogrammed but i dont see why everything else should have to. Its the exact same model same build date and everything just different colour so everything else should be plug and play. Ill probably take it to get a bit of a tune shortly after getting it on the road anyway.
I was more concerned with fitment issues tho such as is the Auto shifter hard to disconnect and connect or anything thats a bit difficult to line up correctly or things that are easy to overlook?

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
On the passenger side of the motor near the starter motor there are numbers for example 10hba that number has to match the 2nd hand motor, if they match up all u have to do is pull old motor out drop in new motor replug everything then start car up, if u get warning messages on dash make sure everything that u unpluged is pluged in

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
The reason you need to swap bcm and tcm is because they are also linked. Unless of course the engine is identical, then just the engine.

Killswitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL HSV Grange
On the passenger side of the motor near the starter motor there are numbers for example 10hba that number has to match the 2nd hand motor, if they match up all u have to do is pull old motor out drop in new motor replug everything then start car up, if u get warning messages on dash make sure everything that u unpluged is pluged in

This.

I am selling a VZ motor at the moment, and took a deposit on it, but when I told the guy about the different motors his was a H7H.

This is some good info too. Go to the bottom of the page. VZ ALLOYTEC (SERII) LEO 170 KW CRATE MOTOR (SERIES II)

matts 3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
I'm doing the transplant in next couple of weeks except swapping out for the 190 kW. Also I will b swapping cluster and bcm. Is everything else mentioned still valid info or completely different ?