Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz engine prefix

eko

3kO
Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to own vb commy end of year
hi guys im changing the engine on my vz commodore (work car) its a v6 alloytec 10hbh engine on it.
i found a 10hba engine at a low price i was just wondering what is the difference between them and would that engine work on my car if i out it in cheers.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
From what I understand if you fit the wrong engine prefix to your VZ there is a good chance it wont work.

eko

3kO
Reaction score
Members Ride
yehh im sorta thinking on that to but im just wondering what is different about them is it all the electronic components ecu wiring etc...

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Stick to the same prefix and u wont have any dramas

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
yehh im sorta thinking on that to but im just wondering what is different about them is it all the electronic components ecu wiring etc...

The story I was told was the engine loom and ECU had to be changed - but this was like 3 years ago. The car took a week to get going.

So now they buy cars to wreck out (wrecking yard that do engine swaps all the time) for the engine number prefix. It's the same for VE's - get the prefix wrong and you add lotsa $$$ to the bill.

VZ and VE motors are still selling for around $1500. How cheap is the VZ motor you have been offered?

Sometimes it can be cheaper to change the chains (if thats the issue)

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
I have gone the other way, from hba to hbh, there was 2 extra plugs and I'm not sure what they were for but if you pull the loom off the hbh and put it on the hba then you should be alright, this might include the intake manifold coming off.

Sent from my iPhone

eko

3kO
Reaction score
Members Ride
well i have the hbh motor the one i found the guy wants $1000 for the motor and box together but his is a hba other than that i found a few hbh motors from 1700 plus

eko

3kO
Reaction score
Members Ride
my current one its got spun bearings and the con-rod for the forth piston needs to be changed i got a quote on bearings and con-rod all parts came up to bout 3 or 400 dollars somewhere round that and labor for free as my cousin was going to do it

ozyjimbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
rory could you recall what you had to do when you swapped the 10hba to the 10 hbh???

dj2005tj

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 2004 Sedna
I have gone the other way, from hba to hbh, there was 2 extra plugs and I'm not sure what they were for but if you pull the loom off the hbh and put it on the hba then you should be alright, this might include the intake manifold coming off.

Sent from my iPhone
I’m going that way did u plug the exhaust to the motor or the old loom ?