Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

key went dead

drelix

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 2005
My main key went dead so i unlocked the car with spare key that unlocked the imboliser.
and sat the key that was dead in the ignition for half an hour.

Now still nothing I am wondering maybe I need to reprogram it for it to work so how do i do this?

or would it be completely dead and need to get new fob and key?

and this was the newest key to be replaced...

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sitting the key in the ignition does nothing. Wont charge it.

Either buy a new remote or take apart the old one and change the battery over (needs a cr2032 pre soldered terminals)
If you choose to to it yourself, you need a new keyfob casing as its glue fused together and needs alot of work to open it up and to be handy with a soldering iron

Best thing, just buy a new remote from a locksmith or Mr Minit and have less hassle. Costs round $50-$90 for remote

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
buy a new remote from a locksmith or Mr Minit and have less hassle. Costs round $50-$90 for remote

will a locksmith or mr minit be able to clone the key or will they need the security code?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Im pretty sure someone on here before said they can do it from either the code or from a working key. You can buy brand new blank 2 or 3 button genuine keyfobs from ebay for around $40 to $50 or so, but these will still need to be programmed, it makes it heaps cheap to replace keyfobs though if you know your vehicles secuirty details and know someone with a tech 2 scantool..

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Mr Minit clone the key

I took my dead original key to them with blade and they copied the blade, and cloned the keyfob (fob battery completey dead, buttons so old they were out of the fob)
With their instructions, took about a minute to get the new key working as partially programmed and needs syncing to the car etc.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's good to know that it's not a must to have the security code. The battery in my wk is on its way out and the car didn't come with the code.

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
I had one key with a snapped blade and the other which went dead, so for ages I used to unlock with the charged keyhead and start it with the other key. I got sick of that so I took both keys to a keycutter at the shops and he cloned the blade for about $30 on to my charged keyhead. The keyhead itself was quoted as $90 so for $120 I can have two working keys again.

For my VX I didn't even need to do any of the synching stuff but maybe that's because it was still the original keyhead?

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
to the op, I got the key for my WK statesman "cloned" today at mr minit. I followed the instruction sheet they gave me and all is well. going from the sheet they gave me, I think you need a working key head as they told me you must be able to remotely unlock the car with the old remote to start the syncing process.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
IChris.

Only has to be unlocked with the original key, battery can be low to dead.
My genuine remote was dead as a door nail but cloned as per instructions from Mr Minit and worked.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Yeh I got a new key from mr Minit too , was going to go to holden but couldnt be bothered with the whole going to holden leaving car there on a certain date etc for them to do it , Mr minut was just walk up to the guy , 5 mins later new key lol