Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Exec rear power windows

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
Hi guys as most people will know Holden had the stupid idea of putting electric windows in the front but not the back of the VZ Executives. What im wandering is how difficult would it be to put power windows in the rear? Has anyone tried?

Ive had a look at the plugs that go to each door and the rears seem to have all the wiring for the electric windows Just nothing for those wires to go to. So in theory all you should have to do is get a door with power windows and the 4 window console switch and it should be all good.

Assuming it is all good the next question would be should i get complete doors with power windows and just bolt on (very hard to find them in my colour where i live) or just get the regulators and fit them into my existing doors. Obviously the first option would be the easiest but also the most expensive as would have to either source doors from down south or get them painted.

Cheers for any help
James

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
assuming the door wiring for the non power windows doors do actually have the wiring for the power windows then just get the regulators. its not hard to swap over. (only thing is you will have a hole where the window winder sat)
otherwise you would need the door wiring and regulator. and door trims if you dont want the hole. then would probably be better to get a whole door but still only swap out what you need (but then the door trims might not match)
but this is all assuming that the car wiring has the wiring in the loom for it..

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im thinking about just getting a random VY/VZ door from the wreckers just to test and see if it works. Im pretty confident that it will. Ive already got a set of suede VZ Calais doors trims with the courtesy lights which is part of the reason for wanting to do this as the new trims dont have the hole for the winder but they have the hole for the window switch.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Good suggestions here. I have been wanting to do this myself - surely someone must have actually done the conversion?

bosmonaut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th Anniversay Edition
I'm wrecking a VY at the moment with electrics all around.
Pulled out all the electric windows and the wiring etc.
The the electric motors are easy enough to get in and out and so is the loom. Shouldn't be to much of a job to change it.

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm wrecking a VY at the moment with electrics all around.
Pulled out all the electric windows and the wiring etc.
The the electric motors are easy enough to get in and out and so is the loom. Shouldn't be to much of a job to change it.

How much would you want for motors and wiring? Posted to Darwin 0830.

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
For anyone that is interested i have tested it out and i was correct. All the wiring is there all you need to do is get the rear window motors, door looms, 4 window switches and suitable door trims if you want to make it look neatand its all ready to go. Just plug and play. Once my mate comes through with the motors and looms i will be getting started on it and will post results. Maybe even a 'how to' if anyone wants it.

Feel free to give me some good rep if ive helped :)

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Thanks for the update and would very much appreciate a 'how to' if and when you can manage it.

BillsCommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
wonder if you've got any updates for us Jwaye2? About attempt this on my VZ executive too.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Buying a Calais/Berlina would be the easiest way lol ;)