Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ drivers seat cushion

rusty748

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
The seat base foam side part has split away from the rest of the seat, so you can now feel the metal base. Has anyone replaced the seat foam before? Is it available anywhere? The fabric is still in good condition so just need to replace the foam base.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Any self respecting Auto Upholsterer should be able to do the job. Not all that expensive. Have a look around the Trade Centres in your district or do some searches on Google etc.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Front Driver's lower seat cushion replacememt (SV6)

Cabin floor.jpgnew cushion fitted.jpgnew cushion.jpgOld cushion - sticky, split and collapsed.jpgold cushion removed.jpgThe way to assemble the seat suspend it.jpg
Front driver's seat replacement of cushion.

The driver's lower cushion was starting to feel less supportive with wear and tear. (Build -Sept 2004 SV6). Approached a local auto upholsterer, verbal price was $125 to make the cushion more supportive. I got the impression he was going to pack the underside of the cushion with some "stuff" to lift the existing foam cushion to make it more supportive. Trundled to local Holden dealer- Bought a new cushion foam for about $125. Decided that I would replace the cushion as a day project. Dealer wanted VIN data to get correct foam cushion.

I cannot remember the step by step process, but I did photograph some of the progress, hope some images may help. Other readers may have a documented process from their manuals.
Disconnected the battery and waited about 5 minutes for all capacitors etc to leak down their charge. Didn't want problems with the air bags triggering. Also find the security code for your CD unit. You may need it, not too certain.
Uncoupled the two connectors under the seat - the seat tilt/height, the yellow connector for the airbag sensor.
Used a screwdriver to push the plastic end caps away to expose the 4 bolts which held the seat in place on the cabin floor.
I wrapped the lower seat frame in a blanket to aid in removing the complete seat without scratching the door pillars and the driver's door trim. When reinstalling, the blanket moved and I put a scratch on the door trim - bugger.
The cabin floor held a couple of cable looms which got caught up on one of the seats hold-down brackets when removing the seat. There is a flap which exposes under carpet cabling etc. An extra pair of hands would be handy.

Take care removing the seat's side cover where the seat adjustment levers protrude. The knobs pull off with care. There is an electrical connector as well. The inner cover near the seat belt stalk is straight forward from memory.
Dismantle and disconnect the rear and lower seat assemblies. Put the rear of the seat aside. Now is the time to replace the foam or the back parcel pocket.

Lower seat assembly. There were two locking strips which had to be unclipped - front and rear of the seat assembly. They lock the seat cover fabric in place after it has been aligned and fitted neatly. The cloth cover is secured with a hook/loop type press on fastening system. pretty neat. Removed the seat cover, then the foam can be removed and replaced.

The original foam had lost memory, was split, sticky, "perished" and reduced in height compared to the new foam cushion.
Replaced the foam, refitted the cloth seat cover carefully, fitted the two retaining strips and reassembled the complete seat. I was working on my own, so I set up a rope support which held the back of the seat upright and allowed easier alignment of the various seat components.
When finished, the new cushion foam did keep the cloth cover very lightly stretched, whereas the old cushion foam had the seat fabric wrinkled and loose. I felt that I could have replaced the upper and lower seat cover material. However the wear and tear on the front seat materials would have made it a very expensive exercise. Each seat cover panel was expensive (4 of) and I would have replaced the passenger side lower cushion as well. Probably not much change out of $600 - $700 or more. (4 covers, 2 base foams, maybe headrests as well).
Took about 2-3 hours of steady working. Hope the images help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Wagon 2010 3.0 SIDI
Can the seat cushion be removed from the base with the seat still in place, or does the seat definately have to be removed first? From what I have read and understand, there are two strips holding the seat fabric to the frame, but is there anything else holding the foam to the base or is that all there is? Thanks

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I think you could give it a try to release the front and rear retaining strips and see what happens. If the foam does not clear the framework, then pull the seat out and unscrew the mechanicals.
I cannot remember if the cushion was removable in situ, didn't think so. Looking at my images, the side pivot through bolts appear to go through the side of the seat cover material. This would make it difficult to remove the rubber cushion in situ.

Also, ensure that you tighten the seat frame retaining bolts to factory spec. I had an annoying rattle start about 6 months back, whilst under braking and on bad roads. It was one rear retaining bolt holding the seat to the floor pan slightly loose. Retorqued and all quiet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Wagon 2010 3.0 SIDI
Thanks I will have a good look once this weather clears up.