Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec engine broadcast code

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Due to my continuing problems (overheating) and investigations with my vehicles Alloytec engine, I am trying to ascertain if my replacement engine is the correct broadcast code for use with LPG.

Accordingly, if someone has a list of Alloytec engine broadcast codes together with the corresponding engine specification (particularly if the engine is suitably adapted for use with LPG), that they could post up, it would be much appreciated. I just have a sneaking suspicion that my original LPG Alloytec engine may have been replaced with a non-LPG compatible engine.

FYI, my replacement Alloytec is broadcast code HBA - which I suspect may not be LPG compatible (I believe HNE may be the correct broadcast code for an LPG modified engine). This might go a long way to explain why I have continuing Alloytec engine problems.

Cheers

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Just fit a valve saver kit and all will be fine, it is just mainly valve recession that you are trying to stop, and the valve saver kit does that as well as lubricate the valve guides. Best $70.00 you will spend if your going to use LPG extensively.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Just fit a valve saver kit and all will be fine, it is just mainly valve recession that you are trying to stop, and the valve saver kit does that as well as lubricate the valve guides. Best $70.00 you will spend if your going to use LPG extensively.

That's all fine and well, but I need to know if my replacement engine is LPG compatible. I am really not interested in having to add 'valve saver kits' or the like, just because my Alloytec hasn't been modified to run on LPG continuously. I had a LPG compatible engine originally, and had it replaced with what I wanted to be an LPG compatible replacement.

If it turns out that my replacement engine is not LPG compatible, then I have a possible claim against the replacement engine supplier and installer.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Ahh, I see what you are getting at. Yes, if they sold you a replacement engine that was LPG compliant and it isn't, then some engine swapping by the supplier seems in order.

Good luck, and sorry for mis understand mate :computer:

Electro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX & VZ commodore
Due to my continuing problems (overheating) and investigations with my vehicles Alloytec engine, I am trying to ascertain if my replacement engine is the correct broadcast code for use with LPG.

Accordingly, if someone has a list of Alloytec engine broadcast codes together with the corresponding engine specification (particularly if the engine is suitably adapted for use with LPG), that they could post up, it would be much appreciated. I just have a sneaking suspicion that my original LPG Alloytec engine may have been replaced with a non-LPG compatible engine.

FYI, my replacement Alloytec is broadcast code HBA - which I suspect may not be LPG compatible (I believe HNE may be the correct broadcast code for an LPG modified engine). This might go a long way to explain why I have continuing Alloytec engine problems.

Cheers

Hi, HBA motors run on petrol. HNA is the factory LPG version of the same 175kw motor..."N" denotes that it is a factory LPG motor. An HBA motor will run fine in a car that has had factory LPG and an HNA original fit. HNE is a different motor series and may not be compatible... don't know what the difference is. Some say there is no difference between an HNA and a HBA, others say the HNA has harder valves. In any case, there are lots of non factory LPG alloytecs running LPG without issues...and a few people who claim valve recession problems after ~50000km. Hard to know. Summary is that the HBA is not a factory series LPG motor, the HNA is.

Oh and for the record, if you are getting persistent or intermittent bubbling and gassing in the coolant, step one is make sure you have bled the radiator - plastic screw on top RHS of the radiator to purge all air in the radiator, and keep the heater turned on while doing it. If this doesn't help, turn your LPG off at the tank - little round headed tap inside the pop off cover on the tank in the boot - and run the car out of gas to clear the lpg lines, filters etc of liquid LPG. Bleed the coolant system again and take it for a spin on petrol and see if the problem still exists. If the foaming and bubbling in the coolant system stops, you probably have a problem in your gas converter...not head gaskets or thermostat. I've been through all this pain myself. Look up this post for another guys similar story.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au.../231311-vz-lpg-overheating-problem-cured.html

Last edited: