Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz ss radiator problems-after ideas

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
gday one and all,
as above I have a weird problem I need some help with,
about or 4 weeks ago I had the radiator replaced in my car due to coolant loss,within a couple of days it started seeping and leaving pink residue around the cap etc,no big deal I thought.
I changed the oil the other day and discovered pink residue all over the exhaust,trans etc under the car,i have searched and can not seem to find any leaks etc.
I am going to take the car back tomorrow and get it checked but was wondering if anyone on here has any idea or had this problem before with what it may be

thanks

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
If the original radiator hoses were reused and spring clamps are also used (original equip ) are the clamps in exactly the same position as prior to removing due to the indentations left by clamps . When the system is pressurised put your hand down and see if you can feel any trace of coolantwhere the bottom hose secures to the neck of the radiator.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
gday conrod,yeah done all of that and all clamps were replaced ,old hoses though,i have checked and can't see any coolant leaking anywhere,it seems to be happening at speed through the top of the radiator as there is splatter(pink) over the belts etc,had her checked out this morning and the mechanic thinks it may be the cap even though it is only 5 months old,they apparently tested the cap when new radiator was installed and deemed it ok,so have installed a new cap today to see if it still happens and if it still does the mechanic will order a replacement radiator and replace it for free I hope

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I'd be getting them to pressure test the system, just to rule out a leaking waterpump flinging coolant around the engine bay, or something similar before they blame it on the radiator.

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
Water pump maybe? That's what's my problem was.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
that's what I thought too,but theres no leaks etc around the pump,they pressure tested the system with the old radiator and found a split in the tank which is why I had it replaced by them,i was told this morning they tested the system after the new system was installed and was ok so I was told,it seems to be coming out under pressure and at speed which is why the mechanic thinks it may be the cap,only time will tell unfortunately and I just have to bide my time and see how it goes I spose

thanks for all the replies and ideas fellas

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Things can start to break down further down the track after a new radiator/component is installed. They wont always fail straight away, but sometimes the extra "pressure" can snowball.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks Sabbath,one thing usually leads to another lol,I think if I keep having these little problems I may rebuild the whole damn thing I think

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
that's what I thought too,but theres no leaks etc around the pump,they pressure tested the system with the old radiator and found a split in the tank which is why I had it replaced by them,i was told this morning they tested the system after the new system was installed and was ok so I was told,it seems to be coming out under pressure and at speed which is why the mechanic thinks it may be the cap,only time will tell unfortunately and I just have to bide my time and see how it goes I spose

thanks for all the replies and ideas fellas

give it a clean, start it up and watch it and what Sabbath said,
the pressure probably went to the next weakest thing ,it could be a pin prick of a hole in a hose or gasket.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
have done the above but am rchecking every day though,still can't seem to find any leaks